need some experienced advise on target practicing

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:23 am

BAOM likes the prairie dog sisters....

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 am

bgreenea3 wrote:BAOM likes the prairie dog sisters....
Started out with Petey the plastic prairie dog, he started showing some wear so we got his brother Paul to help out. They were doing fine and then Petey had to be retired ans his resistance was too low to react. Pauls resistance was getting low so we got the prairied dog sisters, Patty. Maxine and Laverne to come in and help out and they are doinfg just fine. Paul is still doing a fairly good job but he is getting pretty worn out and will be retiring soon. As far as a reactive target they do lasrt a long time, well worth thew money spentm and FUN too.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:46 pm

I saw one advertised the other day shaped like a 12oz beer bottle and another one a bowling pin......I may have to get some of those

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:23 am

I seen a target yesterday it had 2 orange targets on a stand and one black one. The two orange one will lock down when you hit them , then when you shoot the black one it releases them and you start over. I thought it was neat.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:49 am

I have been looking at reactive targets but have not made my mind up on what I want. They appear to be a good change to a std target.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

man i agree bigtime. i get tired of having to staple em up. buy some more. check where im shooting etc. etc.. if i get some reaction targets, the only time i might use paper is zeroing in.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 pm

I seem to always have one ot two go wild to ruin a group size! My technique could use work.

I use 25 yard slow fire pistol (NRA B-16) targets for my Rugers (set 'em at 50 yards for the 10/22). Usually shoot a full clip or cylinder per target. I average 3 inch groups, if I don't count the "strays".

The 10/22 is scoped, so I can usually keep it under 2 inches at 50 yd. The Bobcats get the B-16 targets set at ten yards, and I usually get most rounds in a 5 inch group.

I often do like bgreenea3 and put 1 inch orange bullseyes in the center of the B-15s.

Orange Peel 5 inch targets are a fun substitute, or I go along with B&OM and shoot my rubber Petie Prairie Dog. Sometimes Pete is all I take to the range. You can't shoot "serious" all the time....
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols