Lesson in attitude adjustment/recoil anticipation

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Nick

Lesson in attitude adjustment/recoil anticipation

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:41 am

A few weeks ago I went to a range in Las Vegas that rents all sort of full auto and exotic guns. I had fun with the Uzi and H&K MP5, but I actually learned something from the .50AE Desert Eagle.

I had 4 rounds. Here’s what was going through my head for each (it helps to know that I have hand, arm, and wrist damage from tendonitis and that strong recoil is not my friend):

1) This is a big gun. I have never shot a gun this big before. I am holding a ****ing 50 caliber handgun. This is big gun. Please, big gun, do not tear my hand off or flip up and maul my face off. Ok, just breathe, and do everything the same as you normally do. Just hold on REALLY TIGHT. How much tighter than a .45? I HAVE NO IDEA. PLEASE do not tear my hand off. This is a big gun. Breathe. Sight picture. Target picture. Apply pressure to trigger. How long is the take-up on this thing anyway? Keep pulling. THISISABIGGUNPLEASEDONOTTEARMYHANBOOM!!!

The gun is still in my hand! That was AWESOME! Hey I hit the target, about 4-5" off at about 5 o’clock. I can do better.

2) My hand is still attached! Breathe. Sight picture. Target picture. Man, going back to a two-handed hold is weird. Squeeze jerk pause OH GOD IT’S GONNA NAIL MY HAND AGAIN squeeze jerBOOM!!! Missed the ~8" square target completely.

3) I survived it again! Breathe. Sight picture. Target picture. OH DID I MENTION THIS IS GUN IS HUGE? Squeeze. OH GOD IT’S REALLY GONNA NAIL MY HANBOOM!!! Missed the target completely again.

4) Ok, one shot left. Maybe I should actually turn my brain back on and make it count. Ok. This gun has so much mass that it actually has less perceived recoil and muzzle flip than a Commander size 1911, and I can handle that. Not always brilliantly, but I can get it done. Re-check natural area of aim. Adjust grip. Stick to the fundamentals and follow my usual shot plan. Breathe. Raise gun. Breathe. Sight picture. I am dry-firing with live ammo. Target picture. Do everything the same as usual and simply accept whatever recoil comes—hold tightly and come what may. Just accept. The hole will merely be an artifact of the quality of this action. Doesn’t matter. Squeeze straight, evenly; just the one finger.

What happened? I shot out the X.

(Cross-posted from my new blog, Learning Bullseye.)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Sounds like once you got past the mental part of the recoil and focused on the fundamentals you dinged it right down the middle.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:38 pm

I shot a 44 mag Desert eagle before they are a hoot to shoot i thought the 44 recoiled like a 40s&w... super fun, HUGE handgun and fairly accurate.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Many years ago I had a Super Redhawk? in .44 mag, it was a blast to shoot at the bowling pin shoots. When you hit them they did leave the table for sure. Shot a lot of .44 Special with it also, much milder and just about as effective,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Amazing what can happen when you get out of your own way.

I've never shot a .44 but I bet it's fun!

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Used to have Anaconda. I got really bad nerves especially if I dont eat. I would rapid fire and play around getting used to the noise and recoil. Iwould thy to hit the target but wouldn't keep tabs till my reload w/ fresh target. By then I was more relaxed and comfortable. I do the same w/ my rifles unless I'm hunting but that makes it hunting.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 pm

A BLOGGER with a gun!! How existential....

:)

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:45 am

Tried a cylinder full of .44 mag in a Redhawk once. Even kept 'em in the black on a 25 yard NRA sheet. But that was my last shot of .44 mag. Too much heavy, recoil, and loud.

I can tolerate .357 okay, but my preferred maximum caliber is either .44 Special or .38 +P.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Been there, done that.....I'll stick with my 38 Spl bunny fart wadcutter loads.
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Up to a point, recoil is predominantly a mental thing. An S&W 629 or Ruger Super Blackhawk can take some pretty stout loads without excessive recoil. A 442 shooting +P will beat on you a bit because of the little, light revolver. It seems to be a combination of gun and load.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 am

Perceived recoil has something to do with one of Newton's laws. "for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction". Pretty much amounts to little bullet in a big gun= minor felt recoil, Big bullet in little gun=MAJOR felt recoil. Now if you had a 442 that weighed 5 pounds it would be comfortable to shoot but may pull you pants to your knees when carried.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.