Shoot the Correct Target.

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

perazzi

Shoot the Correct Target.

Post by perazzi » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 pm

tonite I hung up a 50' SF and a timed fire target...

Shot my lifetime best SF group on the WRONG target...aaaagggghhhh...

:oops:

I only wish I could remember what it was I was doing at the time.... :cry:Image

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 am

I got to ask - Where you scoping the holes at the time?

The aiming black is the same size for both targets, it's the rings that are smaller for the SF.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 am

Yes just not paying attention to details...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm

The reason I asked is not to point out a lack of attention but a probable good feeling as the shots were clustering around in the 10 and X ring. That feeling is likely why your performance was so smooth. If you take a regular SF target and see where your shots would have scored you'll see the score would have been pretty good. Just by looking I'd venture a 92 or 91 on the regular target. The point I'm making is feeling good about the shots causes the performance to increase. It's kind of like when we turn the target around and folks who spread shots all over the target are grouping them right in the center without the aiming black.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Well said. It does score 92 using my template. It was an unbeleivable feeling doing it.

The 2 sevens I just shrugged of as I know what was going on there.

I think I'll just consider it now good it can be....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 am

And that takes me back to all those earlier posts where I was talking about performance and maintaining a positive mental attitude. Once someone realizes that they have the potential to do well, they begin to increase their overall performance. What was the difference in your performance between the regular SF target and the one you mistook for a SF target? The answer, as I see it, is your satisfaction level was high as you saw the shots hitting in the center of the target. Like you said, you didn't give the sevens a second thought and continued on with the routine. The rest of the shots clustered together in a nice little group. Maintaining a positive attitude is a big key to overall performance satisfaction.

As an aside, I would add 2-3 clicks of left windage to your Ultradot sight. That will move your group center slightly to the left (approx. 1/4" to 5/16" @ 50').

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 am