The beginning of a beautiful relationship??

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:49 am

Congratulations! You have just made a huge step in your quest for marksmanship excellence. Achieving your first "Clean" target; there will be many more to come. Once you score that first "100" on a string in competition (I see a 100-1X on that target) you realize, "I can do it!" And that mental barrier falls to the wayside allowing your performance to increase as you're no longer chasing the elusive "clean".

Don't overly concern yourself with averages, they change over time. Always work from the positive; you hit a big milestone today and an average is just not that important.

R,
Bullseye

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am

Thank you for your very kind comments.

As the saying goes... the only person I compete against is myself. I've been tracking my averages only to see if I am improving or just maintaining a status quo. At this point my main goal is just to keep all 10 shots in the black.... usually I manage to throw atleast one out into the white though.

I've often heard that a lot of bullseye shooters will actually group better on the Timed and Rapid Fire stages than on the Slow Fire stage. For me it is certainly true. Perhaps it is because I just have too much time to think about what I am doing in a Slow Fire stage?

I really do enjoy my Tuesday evenings away from home. Not a particularly large group, usually 12 to 16 shooters. Skills ranging from complete novice to seldom outside of the 9 ring. Nobody overly serious, we are all there just for fun.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 am

I've often heard that a lot of bullseye shooters will actually group better on the Timed and Rapid Fire stages than on the Slow Fire stage. For me it is certainly true. Perhaps it is because I just have too much time to think about what I am doing in a Slow Fire stage?
Yes, that is it exactly. It is called over thinking. Rather than focusing on sights and trigger squeeze the shooter gets too concerned with shot placement in slow fire. During the sustained fire stages the shooter doesn't have time to think of shot placement and so focuses on technique, this causes a performance increase that is reflected in the overall string score.

I like small local league style shooting also.

R,
Bullseye

Anchor

Post by Anchor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 am

perazzi wrote: "Not to pat you on the back tooooo much,
but, I've learned more from your site in the last 2 weeks about bullseye shooting and it's updates since the '70's,
and making a Mark III into a decent bullseye gun, than I would have ever known by just browsing the i'net...
Amen!

Anchor

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Anchor wrote:perazzi wrote "Not to pat you on the back tooooo much,
but, I've learned more from your site in the last 2 weeks about bullseye shooting and it's updates since the '70's,
and making a Mark III into a decent bullseye gun, than I would have ever known by just browsing the i'net...

Amen!

Anchor
Yup I totally agree Anchor! So much dedicated info in one spot - a Very valuable resource. THANK YOU Everyone and Especially, Bullseye for making it all possible.

my MkIII with the requisite mods (now re-modding the shooter):

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 pm

That's a nice looking 22/45.

R,
Bullseye

MtStream

Post by MtStream » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:22 am

Thanks Bullseye. I had it to the range yesterday. Quite chilly out but I had it sighted in less than one mag(actually by the 2nd shot) . It shoots very well- makes *me* look good! This thread has reminded me what I can do to improve my shooting. Maybe I can do the MkIII justice.

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Tue May 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Bullseye, great point of view on our sport and life, you are a gentleman!

What branch of military and what rank? Are you retired?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 12, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the compliment. I don't like to talk about myself much as this is a discussion forum geared toward shooting and marksmanship. It's been quite some time since I retired after 22 years of active service. I started out by enlisting and retired as an officer. I consider myself extremely fortunate because I got to play on both sides of the fence and gained a wealth of experience from it.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Bullseye, I really respect the way you run this site, it's good to here that you don't take the big corporate offers.The information and help on this site is amazing, and I thank you for that.Also about bringing younger shooters into the shooting sports, I am 24 years old and there is about a 20-40 year gap between me and the rest of the shooters in my league. It's no wonder why the president of the club I belong to mentioned the bullseye league about ten times the night I joined the club. I am very glad he persisted that I come watch a match, I did and have been hooked for the last 3 years. I wish there were more young shooters these days but I have not had much luck trying to get people my age interested, THANKS and have fun shooting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 am

Thank you for those kind words. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying bullseye shooting. It's not as flashy as the action style shooting but if you can shoot the conventional way then you can be successful in any other pistol discipline.

Younger shooters and the juniors are the lifeline of this sport. Folks like myself have to dedicate ourselves toward bringing newer shooters into the game, otherwise shooting in general may suffer. I know there's a lot of folks involved in Appleseed projects where rifle marksmanship is promoted to newer shooters. It's these kind of experiences that cause folks to enjoy the sport and then bring others in to share the experience. My old shooting mentor stressed to me many years ago about the importance of promoting marksmanship to others - a lesson I'm very glad he imparted upon me. Remember, once you have learned and refined the finer points of marksmanship it is up to you to pass it on to others because we don't own this knowledge we simply have temporary custody of it.

R,
Bullseye