Ultradot

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 am

I shot my best grouping ever with the dot sight yesterday, so I'm sold on them. There was another gentlemen there that shoots all the time. I had him shoot my MKIII and his comments were I have to get one of those. The he said that has one nice trigger, and got away from him on one shot. Most all of his guns have a heavier trigger, except his 1911. He uses a special set of clip-ons lens that the flips down and puts his corrected tri-focal in the main lens over riding his far vision. He said they were design to correct his distance down to 36" in the right eye only. I tried his setup and I could not see the sights at all, which was expected since our Rx are different. He seams to all ways be adjusting on his sights. The first time I shot his 1911 it shot 6" to the left at 7 yrds. Glad I did not try a longer distance. Which kind of woke him up to his adjustments. I had a 5 shot group of about 1.5" which surprised him. Since I do not shoot bullseye competition I shoot with my normally corrected lens. These are what I will have on if I'm ever forced to use my CC. So I practice with them. I also shoot with out my corrected glasses too, along with one handed weak and strong side practice.

Sight alignment fundamentals are the same with any open sights. The human brain can switch/process our focal points from near to far to a point neither looks out of focus. Provided we do not need glasses. It was about 10 yrs ago that I started wearing bi-focals, then a lot of things changed. I think my body's warranty starting running out at 35 due to years of abuse. That is when I started getting sporting injuries that I had never had before.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 am

Most open sights align that way; I don't want to over generalize. Iron peep sights use a little different technique. Also I've been talking about using sights for precision target work not combat style sighting where larger groupings are acceptable.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am

I have been working on tightening my groups up. I would love to get down to just 1 hole or a very tight grouping. I know combat shooting has caused some of my inaccuracy since that only requires a 8" group. I'm working on getting down to 2-3" groups at 15 yrds with the first shot of my DA gun being dead on. I practice with 50% of my shots being DA only, then the remaining are 2 shot drills. My Sig 229 has the short reach trigger which I needed but I have discovered that it's around 1/16" to short. So I have glued a leather pad to the trigger face, this has corrected the pull shots (5:00 - 4:30). SA was not impacted. The std trigger is 1/8" longer than the short so I figured this leather pad would be a quick fix. The feel is rather good, not hard and cold, but soft and firm. I used an adhesive that can be removed if I soak the trigger in a solvent. So far it has stayed glued firm. One thing I did noticed right away when shooting is when the trigger is reset I no longer get the sting from the bounce. My neighbor like the feel of it too, but the std trigger would probably fit his hand better than mine. Bruce Gray of Gray Guns told me most need something in between the std and short. I think he cuts down std trigger as part of his custom work.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Well, I did it. The UD 30 is on its way via USPS.

Y