What a winter of change in Air Pistol

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

45dave

What a winter of change in Air Pistol

Post by 45dave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 am

Just felt like sharing some of my winter of change. I have been working on my Air Pistol shooting, indoor international 10 meter and had a revamp this winter to try and get those last few pellets in working toward my Distinguished level. One of the "kids" who went through our youth shooting and ended up shooting for Ohio States team for 4 years stopped by and gave some hints, lessons on improving my shooting so being a oldster (55) I shut up and listened very carefully.
I changed how I get ready for the shot, inhale as I raise my arm, slight breath out as the gun settles, aim and break the shot, then keep aiming for a second or two after the shot breaks exhaling as I slowly, I mean slowly lower my arm. Whew, it has taken a bit of practice to get this rhythm down but it has improved my score to where I am hitting more 90's.
Last night I noticed I was weaving side to side and picked up the hint to stand a bit pigeon toed, yep sounds crazy but a old bullseye shooter suggested it so I gave it a try, it helped settle down that left to right weave from my leg motion.
What can I say..never too old to learn.
I can not scan the target but at one point I put 6 shots in the X ring before I got too excited and put some on the 8 ring...darn that is nice to see only 3 pellet size holes and one larger hole that removed the X ring. I sure hope last night was not just a fluke, next Monday will tell more of the story.