I'm going to try to make Camp Perry this year

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

I'm going to try to make Camp Perry this year

Post by Yleefox » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:14 pm

I want to finally try competing at Camp Perry this year and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to bring, other than my service pistol and ammo of course. I've gotten pretty old so I have no illusions when it comes to winning, but I would at least like to try competing. Any advice is welcome.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: I'm going to try to make Camp Perry this year

Post by Pete D. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 pm

It's great that you are planning to go. Note the big change....the NRA National Pistol Championships have been hosted at Camp Perry since 1907 . As of this year, that is no longer the case. The NRA has moved the National Championship to Camp Atterbury, Edinburgh, Indiana. July 1-5, 2020.
There will still be matches at Camp Perry in 2020. They will be run under the auspices of the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The schedule and structure of the matches has yet to be announced (aFAIK).
Pete

VERY complete info about the matches is usually available at the website for New Jersey Pistol (njpistol.com). As of today, there is no info yet available for the 2020 matches.
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 pm

2020 Camp Perry National Matches

Here's a couple links:
First the all important event calender:
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... s=20191112

Second the rules:
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ers=011420

I'm planning on Perry this year, not Atterbury.

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Well as most already know, Perry didn't happen this year. Atterbury didn't either, but Canton & Cardinal did. Going to try for the Trifecta next year. Cardinal center 7/5 to 7/6, then Canton 7/9- 7/10, then Perry 7/13 - 7/18... Maybe. Tremors getting ugly on the right hand. What used to be a hard 9 ring hold has deteriorated at times to barely on the replacement center. Very frustrating, especially when I read about Doc Young shooting into his 80's. I have the among the best of equipment that's 100% reliable (subject to ammo quality) and I shoot worse than I did as a marksman.

If it wasn't for the enjoyment of exchanging of harassing comments amongst ourselves and the enjoyment of seeing old friends, I'd consider hanging competitive shooting up.

Enough p!$$ing & moaning. At least I can still appreciate the feel of a finely crafted 1911 and enjoy the occasional 'x' when it happens.

Allen
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:03 pm

I used to shoot service rifle at my club , but it got to be a lot of work lugging out all the equipment and setting up. I don't shoot anyting competitive, I just enjoy shooting with my buddies at the club basically open shooting.