PATTERNING

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

PATTERNING

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:34 pm

I just patterned my 12 ga pump. I know, I know-- this dumbo did just that: put the cart before the horse-- go trap- then dove shooting before patterning but better late than never. (No- I didn't fill my limit. BLUSH )

Anyways... I used both Remington and Winchester gameloads- 7-1/2, first at 12 yds then at 25. (We only have an indoor range.)
Both shot to the left of the bull. Aside fm giving a long or short lead, is there anything else I can do about this?
Will the same pattern hold true with 00 Buck?
Thanks...
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: PATTERNING

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:56 pm

jaeger45 wrote:I just patterned my 12 ga pump. I know, I know-- this dumbo did just that: put the cart before the horse-- go trap- then dove shooting before patterning but better late than never. (No- I didn't fill my limit. BLUSH )

Anyways... I used both Remington and Winchester gameloads- 7-1/2, first at 12 yds then at 25. (We only have an indoor range.)
Both shot to the left of the bull. Aside fm giving a long or short lead, is there anything else I can do about this?
Will the same pattern hold true with 00 Buck?
Thanks...
How far left is the center of thepattern? As your rear sight is your eye you may have to alter the stock. Are you righ or left handed?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:29 pm

How far left is the center of thepattern? As your rear sight is your eye you may have to alter the stock. Are you righ or left handed
============
Thanks, Bear.
I am right-handed, right-eye dominant. Center of the pattern I would say is some 3" left at 12 yds yestiddy; today, just an inch off-center for the Rem, and 3" for the SuperX.
Because of your reply, I patterned my 12ga again today with the same ammo lot/distances, but barrel resting on the bench top to minimize the human element. I had a 6 o'clock hold.
Lest I get some flak for my "methodology", let me hasten to say it was just an attempt to find out what my scattergun is doing with the ammo I have. And did it in a fun way on a sleepy Sunday mornin' to get the attention of other shooters shooting their puny .38's, 9 mm's, and .45's: really drowned out their popguns with my 12's authoritarian KABOOM!!! LOL LOL...
1) I found that there IS a slight tendency to the left, but not as noticeable as when I fired from standing. (I guess my trigger squeeze and stance magnified the tendency to shoot to the left.)
2) The Rem loads shot more to the left than the SuperX.
3) The Rems put more holes under the point of aim in a denser pattern, while the SuperX put more above on a wider area. (Sorry- I don't have the disposition nor scientific detachment to count holes and compute percentages.)
And the 12-gauge seem to jar me more than my M1 Garand ever has.
--EDGAR

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:00 am

jaeger45 wrote:How far left is the center of thepattern? As your rear sight is your eye you may have to alter the stock. Are you righ or left handed
============
Thanks, Bear.
I am right-handed, right-eye dominant. Center of the pattern I would say is some 3" left at 12 yds
1) I found that there IS a slight tendency to the left, but not as noticeable as when I fired from standing. (I guess my trigger squeeze and stance magnified the tendency to shoot to the left.)
2) The Rem loads shot more to the left than the SuperX.
3) The Rems put more holes under the point of aim in a denser pattern, while the SuperX put more above on a wider area. (Sorry- I don't have the disposition nor scientific detachment to count holes and compute percentages.)
And the 12-gauge seem to jar me more than my M1 Garand ever has.
--EDGAR
Hi there Jaeger or Hunter 45 as the German word is trnslated. Actually I Oldman or Len, my Dogs name comes first as he is better looking and younger also. Everyon always says hello to him before me anyway. That sounds about average for the hunting autoloaders witht he pattern centered youu have to cover the bird when shoting. Remember these are pointing guns and not aiming guns and yuou do not have to be dead on. Also you do not need to trigger squeeze and aim a scattergun as you are not shooting for a small bullseye. I have shot too many 1,000's of sporting clays to ever have the ability to squeeze the trigger as Bullseye can, wich I did. As a result I do mostly the action pistol games like IDPA, where the scoring ring is 7 inches and that is all you are concerned with. Just picked up another Springfield in trade fopr ashtgun I did no care to shoot anymore, it's a V-10 compact with ported 3-1/2 inch barrel and a real fun shooter.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:52 am

Hi there Jaeger or Hunter 45 as the German word is trnslated. Actually I Oldman or Len, my Dogs name comes first as he is better looking and younger also. Everyon always says hello to him before me anyway. That sounds about average for the hunting autoloaders witht he pattern centered youu have to cover the bird when shoting. Remember these are pointing guns and not aiming guns and yuou do not have to be dead on. Also you do not need to trigger squeeze and aim a scattergun as you are not shooting for a small bullseye. I have shot too many 1,000's of sporting clays to ever have the ability to squeeze the trigger as Bullseye can, wich I did. As a result I do mostly the action pistol games like IDPA, where the scoring ring is 7 inches and that is all you are concerned with. Just picked up another Springfield in trade fopr ashtgun I did no care to shoot anymore, it's a V-10 compact with ported 3-1/2 inch barrel and a real fun shooter.
===============
Ach, so!... Du kannst Deutsch sprechen?... You know what my SN means.
I guess Bear walks you every day? (^o^)
I feel much better now that I know how my SG is patterning- I feel more confident. As to whether that will translate to more clays broken, that, of course, remains to be seen.
Fun shooter? You said it. Me too-- shooting for the fun of it, that's what it's all about: I love shooting my 1911 and my M1 Garand. I'd watched shooting competitions, and I know I can't handle that kind of stress and tension. But each one to his own brand of poison, I always say. Have fun!...

JAEGER45

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:45 am

===============
Ach, so!... Du kannst Deutsch sprechen?... You know what my SN means.
I guess Bear walks you every day? (^o^)
I feel much better now that I know how my SG is patterning- I feel more confident. As to whether that will translate to more clays broken, that, of course, remains to be seen.
Fun shooter? You said it. Me too-- shooting for the fun of it, that's what it's all about: I love shooting my 1911 and my M1 Garand. I'd watched shooting competitions, and I know I can't handle that kind of stress and tension. But each one to his own brand of poison, I always say. Have fun!...

JAEGER45
[/quote]
Gutten tag Jaeger. Nien, kannst Deutsh sprechen, but can understand a minmimal amount of words. I am a retired mottorrad mekaniker, Yamaha dealership. Glad to hear you are more confident in shooting your shotguns, just remember that they are pointed and not aimed. Also remember as far as shotgun and action pistol goes your focus is opposite of the bullseye target sport. You must focus on the target in order to hit it, if you really focus on the clay target you will see the ridges on it and you will not see the barrel and sight except in your subconcious vision if you are shooting wiht both eyes open. With the shotgun all I see is the target and with action pistol I focus on the target and see the barrel in my peripheral vision. Have been working on instinctive shooting lately with the gun near belt leel and shooting a t a gallon milk jug hanginga about chest high from the target carrier and gettin to hit it most of the time. A reactive target really helps in this method as the target moves when you hit it. I tried the NSCA registered sporting clays for one season but that took all the fun out of shooting so I quit it and just shoot for my own entertainment. I am located in Saginaw Michigan and where are you?

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:21 am

Gutten tag Jaeger. Nien, kannst Deutsh sprechen, but can understand a minmimal amount of words. I am a retired mottorrad mekaniker, Yamaha dealership. Glad to hear you are more confident in shooting your shotguns, just remember that they are pointed and not aimed. Also remember as far as shotgun and action pistol goes your focus is opposite of the bullseye target sport. You must focus on the target in order to hit it, if you really focus on the clay target you will see the ridges on it and you will not see the barrel and sight except in your subconcious vision if you are shooting wiht both eyes open. With the shotgun all I see is the target and with action pistol I focus on the target and see the barrel in my peripheral vision. Have been working on instinctive shooting lately with the gun near belt leel and shooting a t a gallon milk jug hanginga about chest high from the target carrier and gettin to hit it most of the time. A reactive target really helps in this method as the target moves when you hit it. I tried the NSCA registered sporting clays for one season but that took all the fun out of shooting so I quit it and just shoot for my own entertainment. I am located in Saginaw Michigan and where are you?

=============================

Kalifor-nee-ay...

And we're really living up to our name. Last time I heard from the range grapevine, in San Francisco, All the Mayor's Men were said to be gathering signatures for a proposition to be included in next month's special election (which will be held thanks, of course, to our Governor the Terminator) so that gun ownership by honest, law-abiding city residents will be banned. Criminals, hoodlums, punks of course are ipso facto excluded for the simple reason that they don't bother to obey the laws. Laws are for the law-abiders only. I'm just wondering now if it will be included in the Nov. election?
What about residents legally owning firearms now, you ask? Not to worry, mein freund-- not to worry. The city mayor, in all his greatness and magnanimity, reportedly will allow his constituents to retain ownership so long as the guns are kept outside city limits. Or else, they will generously be given a number of days to dispose of their firearms without being prosecuted.

And listen- in Alameda County, for the nth time, a proposition will be presented again taxing every single piece of component of a cartridge- primer, bullet, shell, same as every single complete cartridge, a nickel apiece. Whether it passes this time or not, I'm sure glad i'm outta there.

Michigan, hey? Mebbe before asking you about the deer season, I orter ask first about the mosquito situation? I heard you've got real big fellows up there? LOL LOL...

--JAEGER

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:32 am

The city mayor, in all his greatness and magnanimity, reportedly will allow his constituents to retain ownership so long as the guns are kept outside city limits. Or else, they will generously be given a number of days to dispose of their firearms without being prosecuted.

And listen- in Alameda County, for the nth time, a proposition will be presented again taxing every single piece of component of a cartridge- primer, bullet, shell, same as every single complete cartridge, a nickel apiece. Whether it passes this time or not, I'm sure glad i'm outta there.

Michigan, hey? Mebbe before asking you about the deer season, I orter ask first about the mosquito situation? I heard you've got real big fellows up there? LOL LOL...

Have heard a lot of bad things about CA and gun laws and am damn glad I do not live there. Michigan is fairly gun friendly especially since the right to carry if you are not a bad guy went through some 6 or so years ago. Now any reputable person can get a CCW by taking the class, passing the written test and shooting qualifications and then you get a certificate to take to the county offices and if you pass the clearance you get a permit good for 5 years. Michigan is a good place to live, I spent a few weeks in CA in the early 70's and you can have it. Maybe some day after an earthquake it will fall into the ocean and become a foreign country and we can have 49 states.
Born and raised her for close to 73 years now and would miss the canges in the seeasons and the snow although you still have to shovel it. Yes the mosquitoes were bad years ago and some counties still have some big one, they are slightly smaller than a pintail but larger than a teal. The county I live in and 2 adjoining counties are involved in a very successful mosquito control program and it really works. My club has 65 wooded acres and we shoot sporting clays in the woods and rarely need insect repellent.
Yes Bear takes me for a walk every morning and 2 or 3 times a week we go to a park across from my club and he swims in a 10 acre pond chaising his retrieving dummy, one of the orange ones and not me. He just charges into the water to get his toy, but cheats on the way back ans he takes the shortest swim and will run around the end of the pond to save time.

--JAEGER[/color][/quote]

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:14 pm

Yes Bear takes me for a walk every morning and 2 or 3 times a week we go to a park across from my club and he swims in a 10 acre pond chaising his retrieving dummy, one of the orange ones and not me. He just charges into the water to get his toy, but cheats on the way back ans he takes the shortest swim and will run around the end of the pond to save time.
================
Hor hor hor!!!
You're a man after me own heart, Len.
I like your sense humor. Regards to Bear.
Talk to ya late...

JAEGER
(^o^)