shotguns and clay target shooting

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

shotguns and clay target shooting

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:02 pm

Does any one participate in any of the shotgunsports, such as skeet, trap, sporting clays and five stane? Would be interested inyour experiences.
Len :?:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:55 pm

I've shot some trap. I have an old 20 ga. pump w/modified choke that I had since I was a kid, that can bust the birds pretty good. This isn't my favorite thing to do but I have to admit it is fun. I used to hunt squirrels, ducks, pheasants, and bunnies, a long time ago, never went home without my limit.

Tried skeet but the crossing shots were a little beyond me, especialy when they're coming out high and low houses two birds at a time. I also have a five stand setup nearby and those who've tried it said it's very challenging. I'm not sure I'll try that one.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

clay targets

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:00 pm

You have a really good control over trigger movement due to all you rifle and pistol acccomplichments, you probably would try to aim and ssqueeeeeze the trigger. The shotgun games are point and shoot as a result of my poor trigger control due to too many K's of shotgun I shoot the action pisto as it is more point and shoot than aim and squeeze. The 2 disiplines do not merge well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:10 pm

You can say that again. I definitely over aim with a shotgun. That's one reason why I can't handle the twin bird scenario, by the time I hit the first one the second is long gone. On the trap/skeet range I'm certainly entertaining to watch.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Bullseye wrote:You can say that again. I definitely over aim with a shotgun. That's one reason why I can't handle the twin bird scenario, by the time I hit the first one the second is long gone. On the trap/skeet range I'm certainly entertaining to watch.

R,
Bullseye
shoot it obn the ground, it is still fair game as far as I am concerned. Would love to shoot with you sometime, if you ever come to Michigan let me know, I have plenty of shotguns.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:19 pm

I'd love it Len but I don't get up to Michigan very often. I grew up in a small town in Northeastern Ohio, my folks still live near there. I think you're up in the Northern part of Michigan, if I remember correctly. I've heard its really pretty there near Marquette. Thanks for the offer, if I do get up that way, I'll definitely give you a head's up.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Bullseye wrote:I'd love it Len but I don't get up to Michigan very often. I grew up in a small town in Northeastern Ohio, my folks still live near there. I think you're up in the Northern part of Michigan, if I remember correctly. I've heard its really pretty there near Marquette. Thanks for the offer, if I do get up that way, I'll definitely give you a head's up.

R,
Bullseye
Not that far North, still in the lower peninsula.
Look at your right palm, I live about a 1/4 inch below where your thumb joins your palm. My daughter in law is from near Marquette in the as we say UP. I usually spend a few days each summer up near ther when my oldest son bring the family to Michigan to visit her family as most of them live in taht area.

Ruffchaser

Post by Ruffchaser » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:31 am

Hey bearandoldman ,
When you shoot skeet , are you supposed to facethe house where the birds coming from , or wer the guys I saw at the club trying to get a leg up ? Trap is more straight away with slight angles and skeet is more crossing ? I need to get to the open shoots and learn the rules of these games . One last thing , what do usually shoot [gun] .

bearandoldman

shooting skeet

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:35 am

Usually shoot sporting clays, but have shot a lot of skeet years ago before I had retina problems with my right eye. Have a blur in my central vision and have become left eye dominant, still shoot right handed and can average 80% at sporting clays. When shooting skeet, you set your body up so that your natural point of aim will let you break the target at the center stake or 5 yards either side. If you face the house directly you will run out of body movement.
I normally shoot an over/under as I have several in all sizes. As of late haave been shooting a lot of 20 gage, but my favorite is the 28 gage as it will break targets as well as a 12 gage even though the pattern is 2/3d's the size and ther is almost no recoil. But on those days when you really want to test your skills or humiliate yourself, you have to shoot the .410, although if you are on it will break targetrs with the best of them. My favorite guns are a set of SKB 685's one in each gage.
Alll this point and shoot really helps in the action pistol sports that are more point and shoot than aiming. Lately have had a lot of fun shooting a pair of Ruger P512's from slightly below shoulder level at a reduced silhouette target at 25 feet and shooting alternately or simultaneously and can pretty much keep most of the shot in center of mass and all on the silhouette.

HAve fun in the woods, grouse season must be opening in WI soon as it does here in MI on the 15th of this month. :D

Ruffchaser

Post by Ruffchaser » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:47 pm

Bearandoldman ,
Ya , Grouse opens this weekend but today was near 90 and doesnt seem like fall . I usually wait till the first of october or so .
Those SKBs are nice shotguns Ive never heard anything bad at all about them . There are so many new over /unders now , I see that mossberg has one now for arround 500 now . Dont know if its imported or not . Also marlin has some LC Smith over /unders . I always miss the Ducks unlimited deal in oshgosh where you can try out all kinds of new guns to shoot .I need to be shooting my gun a bunch here in the next few weeks . I sure would like a 28 ga. over /under for grouse that would be awesome. My sons 28 ga. 870 express breaks claybirds better than my 20 . Oh well one gun at a time , Ill eventually get there . Ill send a pictue of my two poorly behaved shorthairs , mocha and muddy one day for bear to say hi to .

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:04 am

Usually shoot sporting clays, but have shot a lot of skeet years ago before I had retina problems with my right eye. Have a blur in my central vision and have become left eye dominant, still shoot right handed and can average 80% at sporting clays. When shooting skeet, you set your body up so that your natural point of aim will let you break the target at the center stake or 5 yards either side. If you face the house directly you will run out of body movement.
============
Hi, guys-
Am a newbie with a scattergun and the lingo that goes with it, though I had shot a few rounds of trap with a 12ga modified using #7-1/2 shots. Had watched skeet but the birds are intimidating- they seem too fast- could hardly see the thangs with my bifocals.
Now, is shooting sporting clays anything different fm trap/skeet?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:17 am

============
Hi, guys-
Am a newbie with a scattergun and the lingo that goes with it, though I had shot a few rounds of trap with a 12ga modified using #7-1/2 shots. Had watched skeet but the birds are intimidating- they seem too fast- could hardly see the thangs with my bifocals.
Now, is shooting sporting clays anything different fm trap/skeet?[/quote]

Sporting clays is targets at varying speeds and angles, crossing, quatering in or out and rising or dropping. The sport is more or less intended to simulate hunting concitions. The course at my club is mostly shot at cleared areas in the woods.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Sporting clays is targets at varying speeds and angles, crossing, quatering in or out and rising or dropping. The sport is more or less intended to simulate hunting concitions. The course at my club is mostly shot at cleared areas in the woods.
=============
Thank you. Sounds like fun-- and more challenging.
Will check out the ranges in my neck of the woods and see if they offer it.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

stomach62

Recall

Post by stomach62 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:40 pm

When was it called back? :evil: