General Idea of Prices on used 1100?

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

General Idea of Prices on used 1100?

Post by Downeaster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Went out shotgunning this weekend and had a ball with the grandsons. Forgot how much fun clays can be.

Used my 1100/20 and had a ball (and did pretty well for an old fart...) which has rekindled my interest in swapping my 870 Express towards an 1100/12

Any idea what price range I should be looking at for a used one in decent shape? I've checked the gun auction places and prices are all over the place, from $300 to $1500.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, this whole topic has been, as we used to say in the Navy, "OBE" (Overcome by events)

Horse traded my 870 Express and a couple of pictures of Ulysses S. Grant for a Remington Sportsman 58, 28" Modified.

Didn't know there was such a thing. Predecessor to the 1100, in fact I thought it WAS an 1100 when I saw it hanging on the wall. Very nice shape, good wood, good bluing, nice roll-engraving on the receiver.

Stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning. Not real bad, just some dried oil in the receiver and the action rods and bolt were a little dry.

Now I gotta go see how it busts clays.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 am

I have a 1100 in 20 ga in my safe that has only seen about 200 round through it. I bought it in the late 70's or early 80's. I never could hit any thing with it, 3' under just like clock work. I replaced it with a Citori a couple years later and that all I shoot now. There is something in the fit that does not work for me. I guess one of these days I should sell it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 am

Fit in a shotgun is a big deal, I found out.

All through my life I have been a lousy wingshot. - Really bad.

But then again, I went through all of my life with just one shotgun, a venerable 12ga Mossberg 500 that I was given as a teenager. - My first gun.

It turned out that the Mossberg's stock didn't fit me very well, but I didn't understand that and assumed that I was just a lousy shot.

I could literally hit more rabbits with a pistol-grip mounted, shooting from the hip than I could with the regular stock up on my shoulder!

Then one time I ended up with a Browning BPS in 20ga as boot in a trade, that had the straight-grip "upland" stock and a shorter than usual barrel.

People think that the BPS is expensive, but it just looks that way. Actually it's less expensive than a Remington 870 and bottom-ejects like an old Ithaca 37. - Purdy, too!

It sure was pretty so I bought a box of shells to try it out - and I couldn't miss with that gun!

The difference was like night and day. It got to where I was doing fancy stuff, like waiting for the bird to be in just the right spot in the sky so that when I shot him, he would land at my feet.

It was all about the way the gun's stock fit my carcase - both guns were top notch as far as quality and reliability goes.

Now I'm thinking about altering the buttstock for my old Mossberg 500. - It's been relegated to pistol-grip "cruiser" use for years now, and that's a real shame.

It would be a real hoot to get out there and finally start connecting with that old gun.

I am currently shopping for a 28ga gun, and the Remington 1100 is one of the top picks, there.

It's a shame that you can't test-drive the things, but must plop down big bucks and take a chance on whether it will shoot good for you.