Shotguns & RC Planes

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Shotguns & RC Planes

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:00 am

I used to fly RC planes, and this is a new challenge with shotguns, looks like a lot of fun:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319300

Haka

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Reminds me of the SAFAD (Small Arms For Air Defense) range. A lot harder on the drone with M16's on full auto though

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm bookmarking that for watching at home.
If it is what I think it is, how much does a session cost?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:57 am

Nice video. Looks like the wings are made out of Coroplast backer board, it's the same stuff we use for target backers on the highpower rifle range. The corrugated plastic is lightweight, very sturdy, and resistant to damage. Best of all it is wind and rain tolerant, much better than corrugated cardboard or the older canvas target backers we used to use. It also looked to me like they were using some kind of metal plating underneath the wings, maybe aluminum sheeting. Makes you wonder how many hits one of those planes can take before it is no longer usable.

It appeared to me that it would be difficult to tell who actually hit the target as there were so many folks firing at the same time at the speeding plane. The firing reminded me of some of my trips out to public hunting lands when a duck of pheasant flew over the countryside would erupt in gunfire, followed shortly by a steady rain of lead pellets back to the ground. I stopped hunting on public land the day I saw a fellow jam the barrel of his shotgun into a very thick bush and shoot, only to exclaim, "Got-em" when the feathers flew out of the other side of the shrub.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:17 am

We use that same material at our range for backers, works good until there is a greater percentage of holes than backer.
Used to shoot a lot of sporting clays and when I was about 20, I did do R/C planes, never thought of them together. Plane looks as if it can take a lot of pellet his and still keep on flying. Never shot clay targets moving that fast on the sporting clays course, clay targets do not have the ability to make abrupt moves and accelerate. Clay target just keep on slooooooooowing down the farther they get from the trap. But I would like to try that Gnat Shoot sometime.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:08 pm

It sure is a new twist on "reactive" target shooting ! I use to fly R/C planes with dad, GRHS,
and those style of planes are very difficult to fly. Not much wing/dihedral to stabilize it.
My favorite planes to fly were:
http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC49.html
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0160.html
http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC55.html
those were the days of lots of fun. I think a shotgun would bring them down very easily though.
Here's my last R/C plane I flew, a friend took the video of me flying it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkSQW3x ... r_embedded
I just made it off the runway!

haka :wink:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

That J-3 would be a fun and stable flying plane. Many years since with the R/C planes, like the mid 50's when I played with them. Popular planes then were thew LiveWire trainer, tha a lot of us started with as it was simple and rugged. Single channel har tube reciver for rudder only control, with rubber band escapement. Very primitive by oday's standards.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:06 am

I used to build and launch model rockets with my dad when I was younger. I'd like to see the same concept tried with them, they might make for a more impressive boom.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 am

It would be quite difficult to lead one of those model rockets with a shotgun as they accelerate upward off the launch pad at a considerable rate of climb.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 am

Bullseye wrote:It would be quite difficult to lead one of those model rockets with a shotgun as they accelerate upward off the launch pad at a considerable rate of climb.

R,
Bullseye
Yes, like some of the dove around here with a 40mph tale wind. There is nothing like leading a bird 10-12' for a hit.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I agree, it would be quite a challenge. It sure would make a good trick shot for people like Tom Knapp. Mr. Knapp could probably launch 5 rockets in 1 second intervals and hit all of them.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 pm

A new twist on RC planes, can they really go 400 mph ?
Take a look, I bet not many could hit this baby !!!

http://www.wimp.com/mphplane/

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 am

Hakaman wrote:A new twist on RC planes, can they really go 400 mph ?
Take a look, I bet not many could hit this baby !!!

http://www.wimp.com/mphplane/
H\
Haka, that is fantastic, hows the Hell can he keep track of it in the sky it moves so damn fast. That plane could get out of sight if you blinked at the wrong time,

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 am

When did they start making jet engines for RC planes? I would be concern that I would get out of range of the controls and wave good bye..... because it's moving so fast.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am

Haka, that is fantastic, hows the Hell can he keep track of it in the sky it moves so damn fast. That plane could get out of sight if you blinked at the wrong time,
When did they start making jet engines for RC planes? I would be concern that I would get out of range of the controls and wave good bye..... because it's moving so fast.
Back about 10 years ago I know engines were made for jets, but I'm not sure they were "turbine" like these. I thought they were just fans hooked onto regular 2 stroke engines? Anyways, talk about "radical fast" !!! You guys are right, "how can you keep track of the jet ??? Is it right side up, or upside down? If you blink, it could be gone!!! If I were flying something like this in Michigan, I could lose track of it and it could end up in some other state, Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, or maybe Florida ??? LMAO !
The most important question is "Who has the skills to bring it down with a shotgun ?
Haka