Dan / Arms shotgun

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Athena

Dan / Arms shotgun

Post by Athena » Sat May 02, 2009 9:57 am

Hi all, I just recently had a shotgun handed to me. Its a Dan Arms O/U in 12 gauge. The barrel is 27"1/2 from muzzle to breach. It has one trigger with no way to choose which barrel to shoot first or second. There is no model number on it. This is the only shotgun that I have ever seen that does not say anywhere what its supposed to shoot 12, 16,20 gauge in 2"3/4 or 3". Very few markings. All it says on the side of the barrel is Dan//Arms of North America Fort Washington-Pennsylvania. I cannot seem to find any useful info on this shotgun. Does anyone have any info or links to useful info. Your help would be appreciated.

Best,
Athena

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 am

According to my "Blue Book of Gun Values" these guns were made in Italy by Silma. The Lux Grade I, II, III & IV all had three inch chambers. Grade I & III came in 12 & 20 ga while the Grade II & IV were 12 ga only. Importation of these guns ended in 1988. Guns in 100% condition are worth from $280.00 to $460.00 depending on grade.
Charlie

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun May 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi laportechaarlie , Thanks for the info. I had actually called a gun dealer & was given the exact same info. I also concluded this is a lux grade III with a 28" barrel. I fired it today & all I can say is the producer of this particular shotgun did not believe in taking any of the recoil out of it at all. She kicked like a mule. I will have to put a gel butt plate on or its equivalent. Even reduced powder loads were harsh.

Thanks again,
Athena

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Mon May 04, 2009 8:16 am

A good recoil pad can take a lot of the sting out of a hard kicker. I am partial to the X-Coil pad by HiViz. A stock that fits you is also a big help. It might not be worth it to put too much effort (money) into that gun unless you really like it as you will never get it back on resale.
Charlie

Athena

Post by Athena » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi laportechaarlie , That sounds like great advice. I will not put too much into it except for the recoil pad. Maybe 20 to 30 bucks top. After that I will use it on occasions where I dont feel like using my L.C Smith s/s. I would like to find someone that has a manual for it though. Maybe in pdf format. I will keep looking. Thanks again.

Best,

Athena