PRE-WW2 WINCHESTER MDL 12

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm

My son-in-law just inherited an old Winchester Model 12. He is not in to guns, so I can foresee it becoming a not unwelcome gift to me.

It's in good condition though the stock will need replacement- the heel had been badly grawed by rats.

I doubt if a 'smith aside from giving it a thorough examination can really tell me if it can handle current standard gameloads. Though I already have a Remington 870, I would like to use the M12 for trap and upland birds.

Since Winchester has ceased operation, where can I possibly bring it to determine if its metallurgy is up to snuff?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:07 am

Take it to your nearest competent local smith, he should be able to inspect it for you.

R,
Bullseye

sheepman

Post by sheepman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Most smiths that work on shotguns will know how to check a M 12, there are lots of them out there and were/are great guns. Also there are still some trap shooters who like and do very well with them. Good luck and enjoy your M 12. Bill

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Lots of trap has been shot with the old 12's, that was the trap gun of choice pretty much in the 50's and 60's. Kicked the snot out of you but broke a lot of straights. Should have no problem with 1-11/8 trap load, jus put one in the pipe and 6 in the tub, pull the trigger and hold it and keep on shucking. Sounds like a full auto.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:23 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Lots of trap has been shot with the old 12's, that was the trap gun of choice pretty much in the 50's and 60's. Kicked the snot out of you but broke a lot of straights. Should have no problem with 1-11/8 trap load, jus put one in the pipe and 6 in the tub, pull the trigger and hold it and keep on shucking. Sounds like a full auto.
Boy and Howdy! Learned to shoot trap with a '12. It was the first gun Dad "bought for me". Put a LOT of rounds through that puppy, and had the bruises to prove it. This would have been between '63 and '67.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Downeaster wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Lots of trap has been shot with the old 12's, that was the trap gun of choice pretty much in the 50's and 60's. Kicked the snot out of you but broke a lot of straights. Should have no problem with 1-11/8 trap load, jus put one in the pipe and 6 in the tub, pull the trigger and hold it and keep on shucking. Sounds like a full auto.
Boy and Howdy! Learned to shoot trap with a '12. It was the first gun Dad "bought for me". Put a LOT of rounds through that puppy, and had the b
ruises to prove it. This would have been between '63 and '67.
Those were the Modetl 12 days, hard hitting gun from either end.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Buttonwood Bob

Post by Buttonwood Bob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 pm

My parents gave me a Model 12 for Christmas when I was 12. That was 59 years ago. I have never wanted another pump. That said, I think I'll get an Remington 870 with a 3" chamber, and a choke...which brings up the first poster's question. Though the gun will accept 6 shells, it has likely been plugged to use only three. Since it was designed for 3 1/2" shells, perhaps, the ejection/loading problem has to do with the plug, and/or the type of shells being used? If the spring hasn't been compressed for a long time, it might benefit from 30 wt. motor oil. Just off the top of my head. I hope you get it working. It is a lifetime classic. You can't get a replacement barrel, so consider shooting Bismuth.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Welcome to GunTalk-Online.com Bob!

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Bob,

Welcome to GTO.

You will not find a more friendly group anywhere.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Buttonwood Bob

Post by Buttonwood Bob » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am

How nice to be welcomed. I should have introduced myself in my first post.
I was a lucky kid. After WWII, when I was 6-9, my folks moved to a house on the edge of unhunted woods, virtually unfished lakes, and a dairy farm that was a great source for dove shooting. I can't imagine giving a 9 year old a shotgun, but I got one for Christmas two weeks after becoming 9. I had done a lot of begging without expecting it. When I ran out of shells, I could find some 12's with my grandfather's H & R "long Tom" that I found kicked even less than my 20 with a "Tennite" stock. At 12 I was given the Winchester Model 12. I hunted doves, ducks, quail, turkeys, and shot skeet with that gun all my life, until advised not to use ss shot. Can't say it is science, but I always felt like a pool shark at T-giving and Christmas "turkey shoots" at targets. Great pattern. Gun-talk will help me relive those special days, and the other guns I have shot. I am a retired university professor of psychology, married, two grown kids, six grandkids.