New squirrel gun any suggestions?

The place to discuss all aspects of shotgun shooting.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Akkar

New squirrel gun any suggestions?

Post by Akkar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm

I need a new squirrel gun, and I only hunt squirrels with shotguns since its REALLY cheap to hunt them with and its alot easier to hit them in thier enviroments any suggestions... No .410s I had to many bush tails carry a full load from a .410
AMURICA **** YEAH!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 pm

My dad uses a 20 ga due to retna degeneration. Use #6 shot, heavy field (high brass) and penetration want be a problem. I've seen many time where bird loads just bounce off. I use a 22 most of the time, rifle or pistol. I reload all the shells my dad uses, have been for decades.

A 410 will work just fine with the right load, just need to be a little more precise with your shot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Akkar

Post by Akkar » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Ive shot them with a 410 where they are 15-20 feet away and flat against the tree.. and they ran off. I don't think its a bad round at all I just had bad experiences with it.I have a 20 gauge Right now but I am kinda disapointed with the pattern and spread, It seems more of a home defense shotgun than a hunting gun
AMURICA **** YEAH!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:38 pm

The main difference is the shot pattern. A 410 has less shot so a lot smaller pattern for the same distance. Now not all shot shells produce the same pattern, wadding design plays a big part in this. Some are better than others. My dad's gun is a old Rem 1100 Modified choke. I load a 1oz #6 similar to the old WW Express High Brass loads, around the 1220fps range if my recall is correct. I do not have any load data in front of me. But I have not shot any factory shells in 40 yrs.

Do you recall what load you were shooting? If it was a light bird shoot like #9 it want do much harm. That's more like a bird shot for 22.

May want to set up a big piece of cardboard and pattern your gun at the distance your going to shoot at. This will also tell you how to aim for more precise control.
Ive shot them with a 410 where they are 15-20 feet away
If I was to shoot one at that distance there would not be much left.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Akkar

Post by Akkar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I've always used 6# high brass but it was super x I prefer remington but it was the only shells they had for the .410. all my other shotgun shells are remington, I've had to many winchester shells not go bang I don't know why that is but it really pisses me off when it scares away game whenever I have to rack another shell in
AMURICA **** YEAH!!