Board style changed?

The place for forum admin/management related questions.

Moderator: Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Board style changed?

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 am

If the appearance of the forum has changed for you it is because I modified one of my configuration files due to a request by a new member. One of the new members wrote and said he was having trouble reading the forum under it's current style format. So I turned on an option to allow each user to try their own style based on a few templates in my software.

If you go to your <profile> in the main menu, you can select a different board style based on a drop down board style menu. The current board style is called "FI FourOne Ocean" which is the master template I have used for all these years. However, I allowed each user to choose their own board style format based on the templates available in the drop down panel this morning; so if your forum format looks different today then you may want to go into your profile and change it back to FI FourOne Ocean.

Currently I do not have any of my Guntalk images loaded in the newer board styles. It will take me some time to place them into the CSS style sheets for each board template.

Feel free to express your thoughts about this change. Remember you can choose your own preferred board style, or not.

Thanks,

Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I found the previous style to be fairly simple and mobile-friendly.

It was low contrast, though. I'll give this a try and see how it looks on desktop & Android for a bit.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:59 pm

I replaced my PC in September. Went from XP to 7, and from a 15" to a 23" monitor. All the text on GTO seems to have shrunk. But it still works for me.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:05 pm

You can zoom the text on your PC. Generally you use the control key + the Plus key to make the image larger. Conversely you use the control key + the minus key to make the image smaller. Check your browser's help section it will also describe how to just make text bigger and leave the images the same size.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Nice, I like having the option to mess with the board style.

For zooming: in addition to what Bullsye noted, you can also hold the control key whilst moving the scroll wheel forward to zoom in, or hold the control key whilst moving the scroll wheel backwards to zoom out.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 pm

I still have to add the forum graphics to the other styles, right now they are just the generic phbb pictures. I may upgrade the version soon which may change the appearance and features some. I'm looking to have more some advanced anti-spambot options. Currently I deal with 40-50 false registration attempts per day. It is starting to become a chore to scrub the members lists daily.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I did notice that your nice graphic on the top left hand corner of the screen was replaced with the default.

Years ago I helped maintain a forum and I remember spam bots were a constant nuisance.

Do forum softwares with CAPTCHA user authentication (or something similar) cost a lot more money?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 pm

This one has a CAPTCHA feature but the bots are more sophisticated now and are getting through it easier. This is one reason why I switched to Admin authorization several years back for registrations. The newer versions allow for human response only questions to help reduce spammers.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Shows what I know about running a forum these days, I thought CAPTCHA was still pretty much a catch-all.