Possible service loss Wed 8/15

The place for forum admin/management related questions.

Moderator: Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Possible service loss Wed 8/15

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 am

I have received a notification that the forum hosting company is planning to upgrade the servers that host the forum on Wednesday August 15th. All members should be aware that service/access may be interrupted during this event. Also, if there's a compatibility issue, we could lose access to the forum for a few days. I will be backing up the forum software on Tuesday night to get the latest information prior to the server upgrade. This is an old version of phbb software so there could be compatibility issues with the new server operating system software. If there is, then I will be forced to upgrade the forum and this may lead to an appearance change for GunTalk-Online.com. Hopefully everything will go smoothly but I'm still planning ahead in case the opposite happens.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

I know we all appreciate the heads-up. Hope it doesn't last more than a day. GTO withdrawal could be pretty severe for some of us........ :shock:
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:16 pm

There's no guarantee on "if" we'll lose the forum, I'm just giving a "heads-up". With any server upgrade there's always a chance the forum software won't run with the new version. I'm using a pretty old version of this bulletin board software and the server operating systems have gone through several updates since then. If we do, rest assured I will have it back up as quickly as possible to prevent any forum withdrawals. I have resisted upgrading the phbb software to prevent any appearance changes for the members. Alas, I will eventually be forced to upgrade because sooner or later the server will no longer be capable of supporting our forum's operating system.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Sounds like my old PC here. I'm running Windows XP, and it won't work with Internet Explorer 9, so I'm running 8. Some websites pop up warnings that their site may not be compatible with my "old" browser, but I'm not upgrading until my PC dies. So, I guess their websites may just have to live without me.
* Two Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* Two NAA Guardian .32ACP
* Three Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm

I always dreaded doing major upgrades when I was a server admin. I have spent many a weekends working the bugs out on new server software that was rolled out. And there was a few that I had to roll back to have it running when work days came up.

I hope every thing goes smooth.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Thanks for keeping GTO on line.
Hopefully all goes well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Apparently we survived another server upgrade. If anyone notices any problems with access notify me by email at [email protected]

R,
Bullseye