Banning on the forum

The place for forum admin/management related questions.

Moderator: Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Banning on the forum

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 19, 2009 7:02 pm

To all forum members,

Recently I have received a few e-mails inquiring about being banned form the forum. I do not ban people from the forum, at least not without a really significant cause. I have not banned anyone from this forum since its inception in 2005. When I previously managed the Mark II.org and Mark III.org forums I only banned one person in all those years, and that person certainly deserved it. After repeated warnings, the person persisted in negative behaviors and was summarily banned from that forum.

This forum, unlike some of the other gun boards like it, believes in free speech. As long as one can be civil there's no reason a unpopular post can not be submitted. If I feel someone has crossed the line of civility, they will certainly hear from me via personal means. I will not just arbitrarily ban them because I don't agree with their opinion, nor would I delete their posts for disagreeing with their opinions as I have seen on other forums.

Which brings me to this statement - there have been some folks who are getting banned screens from Guntalk-Online upon attempting to log in to the forum. This is a free software package and I have a relatively limited, albeit crude, ability to discover why folks are turning up suddenly as banned. Sometimes I do ban e-mail providers who allow spammers to roam unchecked and refuse to take action against these persons. I have also banned IPs from some foreign countries that have Spamming as their national pastime. There could be some unintended cross issues of this type of banning, especially if your ISP changes IPs or uses a pool of random IPs for their users. If you are getting a "banned" screen upon signing in to Guntalk-Online please E-mail me and I will see if there's anything I can to to free up your username or e-mail provider.

I want everyone to have a good experience on this forum and banning folks does not promote this ideal.

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Tue May 19, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Bullseye, I remember that well. Didn't he get registered in a second time before you got things straightened out. He was actually a vicious person.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 19, 2009 8:45 pm

That particular individual did attempt to re register as another user on the old Mark III.org forum. He was denied access and very soon thereafter a virus attack was launched that ultimately shut down the forum server for nearly a year. It was at that time I decided to launch this forum for those shooting folks who didn't have a place to gather and converse.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Bullseye wrote:That particular individual did attempt to re register as another user on the old Mark III.org forum. He was denied access and very soon thereafter a virus attack was launched that ultimately shut down the forum server for nearly a year. It was at that time I decided to launch this forum for those shooting folks who didn't have a place to gather and converse.

R,
Bullseye
I remembered his posts and forgot about the virus attack that eventually led to the downfall of a good forum where you and I and J57ltr were moderators. I joined your forum as soon as I saw it and have never been disappointed. Bullseye you run a tight and seaworthy ship, and the Bear sends you a woof and if you ever get in our area the dog cookies are on him.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks Len, I hope we get that chance one day to break some cookies with our pups.

My intent for this topic was really not to take a trip down memory lane, but to let folks know that if they are seeing a "Banned" screen it is not intentional and to let me know. I do not want folks thinking I am some kind of "elitist" who capriciously bans folks from the forum. I am selective of membership only in the sense that I must ensure the spammers are denied but otherwise all are welcome here at Guntalk-Online.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Bullseye wrote:Thanks Len, I hope we get that chance one day to break some cookies with our pups.

My intent for this topic was really not to take a trip down memory lane, but to let folks know that if they are seeing a "Banned" screen it is not intentional and to let me know. I do not want folks thinking I am some kind of "elitist" who capriciously bans folks from the forum. I am selective of membership only in the sense that I must ensure the spammers are denied but otherwise all are welcome here at Guntalk-Online.

R,
Bullseye
I am probably the only one on the forum that remembers that sequence of events. really did not realize we had been associated with each other for that long,Damn time sure does fleet by you when you get old.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 pm

You and I were insiders of those old forums and had a way different view than most folks ever realized. I am of the opinion, if it wasn't for the both of us they would have fallen off the radar and gone belly up long before they actually did. I know Rook felt that way too. And it wasn't too long after I started this forum that the old Mark III.org vanished into the vastness of cyberspace. We sure exchanged a lot of PM and emails over the years - Eh?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Bullseye wrote:You and I were insiders of those old forums and had a way different view than most folks ever realized. I am of the opinion, if it wasn't for the both of us they would have fallen off the radar and gone belly up long before they actually did. I know Rook felt that way too. And it wasn't too long after I started this forum that the old Mark III.org vanished into the vastness of cyberspace. We sure exchanged a lot of PM and emails over the years - Eh?

R,
Bullseye
innumerable, may be a good description. we did what we could to keep that forum decent and ongoing but a lack of interest most likely by Rook in his last college years finally led it down the road to ruin. Sure am glad you started this one,if not what would I do with all my free time.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 pm

I'm sure that Ma could think of a thing or two that could have used your attention. :D But I'm sure glad you and Bear have been here over the years.

I guess it was just a matter of priorities for Rook. All those years I was in college full time getting graduate degrees, raising young ones, and working two jobs but I still found time to frequent the gun forums. He was a very young man so I'm sure other interests were pulling at him too.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 am

Bullseye, if I were to receive a ban message, I would automatically assume that it was unintentional.

Last year I had an account issue, (I think I forgot my password or something) you e-mailed me about it and fixed it right up. You do an excellent job managing your site and protecting it from spammers.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 20, 2009 4:24 am

Bullseye wrote:I'm sure that Ma could think of a thing or two that could have used your attention. :D But I'm sure glad you and Bear have been here over the years.

I guess it was just a matter of priorities for Rook. All those years I was in college full time getting graduate degrees, raising young ones, and working two jobs but I still found time to frequent the gun forums. He was a very young man so I'm sure other interests were pulling at him too.

R,
Bullseye
Yes, at the time he was just finishing up his last year or two in college, so he had to be nay be 23 at the most and he had been involved with the forum since maybe 17. Another guy that had family problems and he ad his son moved back to CA from AK was Radar. Kept in touch with him for a while but he just disappeared also. Still have an e mail and a phone number for him, may try the again sometime.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 20, 2009 6:30 am

Georgezilla wrote:Bullseye, if I were to receive a ban message, I would automatically assume that it was unintentional.

Last year I had an account issue, (I think I forgot my password or something) you e-mailed me about it and fixed it right up. You do an excellent job managing your site and protecting it from spammers.
Thanks George, I try to do my best for the membership. Sometimes I don't get to spend as much time online as I'd like to, but I do manage daily forum upkeep.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 20, 2009 6:32 am

bearandoldman wrote: Yes, at the time he was just finishing up his last year or two in college, so he had to be nay be 23 at the most and he had been involved with the forum since maybe 17. Another guy that had family problems and he ad his son moved back to CA from AK was Radar. Kept in touch with him for a while but he just disappeared also. Still have an e mail and a phone number for him, may try the again sometime.
I'd like to see Radar come back out of the weeds and start posting again. He was a nice fellow that just fell on some hard times. If you do talk with him, send him my best.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed May 20, 2009 8:49 am

Well Bullseye, I just sent an e mail off to our old friend Radar, hope he answers back. He ran the old forum with an iron hand until he ran into personal problemms nd you and I and j57ltr became the moderator. We were not quite as strict as Radar but we kept it a real class forum.
Last contact I had with him was feb 2006

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:09 pm

oh dang some 1 hacked yall? watsup there they cudnt just talk it out.man i hate people like that they have no life and destroyed my last pc i had.i almost gave up on the pc thing till i got this laptop,but ye they strike u when ur down is for sure
dropped on request 1/7/12