Pictures

The place for forum admin/management related questions.

Moderator: Bullseye

SShearer

Pictures

Post by SShearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Are there some kind of instructions that can walk me threw the steps of how to post a photo with my reply? I've never needed to do it before, thanks

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:40 pm

GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Host your photos on a free picture hosting website, like Photobucket.com . then you can link directly to the picture from the site. You can add HTML tags yourself image is [img]for%20an%20opening%20tag%20and[/img] for a closing tag. In between the tags goes the http address of the picture. Place the line in your message text and then do a preview to see it. Submit the message and everyone can see it as long as you leave the address open with the picture.

R,
Bullseye

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Some people seem to be having trouble posting photos and pix

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 pm

This is a snapshot of your Picassa Web page, you should have one of these.
Google makes a nice desktop-based picassa interface that makes batch-uploading albums really easy, but you can do pretty much everything you need to do with a digital camera that connects to your PC and the web interface from Google/Picassa.
I'll do a run-through of how to set up a picassa account and upload photos if requested.
Step one is to find the photo you want to post in your picassa albums.
I'll use this random photo of my EDC unconcealed.

Then hit the "link to this photo" option on the right, and selsct a size. Some forums will automatically shrink your images, so I generally use the "medium 400px" size. Generally you don't want to be posting an album link, so check the "Image Only" box while you're at it.

Now you want to get a working location for your photo, and counter-intuitively the way to do that is to use the "Link" rather than the "embed" option.
"Cut" the link out of the provided box (you could "Copy" it, but when I use "Cut," it leaves an empty box and I know I have the right text to paste next)
"Paste the link into the forum, generally you will want to surround it with {img} and {/img} tags (swap the "{}" for "[]" brackets, or use the forum's buttons ... here on Bullseye's Guntalk-Online you can hit the image button before and after pasting in the link, or you can paste it in and then highlight it ... then hit the image button and both tags will appear.

Now, if you just want to post a picture from another website, you can do so armed with the above skills and by pulling the "picture location" from the properties.
Find the desired picture, right click on it (or whatever you do on a Mac to pull up a context menu) and either select "Copy image location" (firefox has this great option) or if that isn't there use "Properties" and copy the "image location" text, then post as above.
Warning: some website owners and operators do not like excessive "hotlinking", and have been known to swap unpleasant images in with the same location/file-name. If you are linking/posting without permission, you run the risk of having the image you wanted to post replaced with stretched orifices (orifi?) or some other unpleasant thing. Some sites have disabled hotlinking, so use the "preview post" option, if they come up as an altrenate image telling you about how hotlinking is bad, either link from somewhere else or host the picture yourself in Picassa.

Bullseye, I'm working on this a bit at a time, if you want it somewhere else please feel free to move it (your forum, after all!) and if you don't want it up at all, just tell me to quit it and delete this post and any others in the same subject.
Next subject is actually the first one, a walk-through of making a google/picassa account and uploading a photo.
Then if needed a pictorial of adding a photo to a thread here, I suppose.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 am

Dave I have no problems with what you've posted and I believe it is useful information. Thanks for taking the time to create this post.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 am

Great job Dave, use Picasa all the time. Simple and easy once you have done it a few times.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.