Modifying MKII grip to fit MKIII

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Modifying MKII grip to fit MKIII

Post by piasashooter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I found a set of Nill grips for a MKII, but I have a MKIII. These are similar to the VQ Volthane grips, but they are wood. My question is, couldn't I just drill a hole in the grip to make way for the MKIII magazine release button? Then just buy or make an extended magazine release.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm

I would think so... the extented mag release might not be needed if you can do some careful material removal in the mag release area (sander on a dremel type thing)
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 am

Yes, you can modify Mark II grips for the Mark III frame. Underneath the left panel you need to make a relief cut for the mag release button hold down screw and one for the button. Under the right panel you'll need to make a cut to relieve the area where the mag button slides out; this is the small circular hole on the right across from the button. Otherwise you may not be able to depress the release button far enough to clear the magazine latching bump.

Volquartsen has some extended Mark III mag release buttons for sale that may work in this situation.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks guys. Bullseye, is 200$ shipped, a fair price for a set of used Nill grips that are in good condition? I honestly don't now what they go for new.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

New the Nill Grips run between $250 and $275 for a set of Mark II match grips with an adjustable heel. I guess it would matter how old they are and what condition they actually are in. Not a fantastic deal, but a little less expensive than new. Then you have to factor in the modifications necessary to fit them to your Mark III.

R,
Bullseye