Help in reassemling Mark III

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

korky

Help in reassemling Mark III

Post by korky » Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Since I live in Mass. until recently I could only read about Ruger cal .22 pistols. The first time I field stripped the Mark III Target I had totake it back to the dealer to put back together. Then I found this forum and Bullseye's instructions for detailed disassembly/reassembly. Recently I purchased the Volquartsen accurizing kit. I also fabricated the washers for replacement of the magazine safety. After replacing the trigger, the sear and the hammer I inserted the washers and tried to assemble the pistol. I finally managed to get it together but it woulld not fire. I tried it with the original parts but still no luck. I noticed that just prior to lowering the disconnector lever with hammer and washers the thumb safety hook is over the sear but the thumb button is down showing the firing mode. When the trigger is pulled it looksas if the sear is blocked by the tip of of the thumb safety hook. I hope that somebody can give a hint what I am doing wrong. While on the subject, I also would appreciate some advise how to make the pretravel and overtravel adjustments.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Korky,

When you are lowering the hammer and bushing, you must have the hammer pivot pin inserted in the thumb saftey lever in the pistol. The pin will just be flush with the safety lever. Rotate in the hammer and the bushing and push the hammer pin all the way through the frame. Now when you engage and disengage the thumb safety the hook should clear the top of the sear. BTW, you do have the Mark III magazine safety parts out - right? If not then you'll need an empty mag installed to lift the safety hook and move the sear.

Once we get this problem solved I'll explain the over and pre travel adjustments.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

korky

Post by korky » Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Bullseye,

Thank you for your prompt response. Yes, I have removed the magazine disconnector and the sring and replaced them with the washers. As for the rest of reassembly procedure I thought that I had followed your published instructions; however, it may just be my lack of manual dexterity. I will try again! Once again thank you for your help.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 30, 2007 5:27 pm

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

R,
Bullseye

korky

Post by korky » Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Bullseye,

I tried to follow your instructions but had no luck. Let me describe what I did. After installing the sear I installed trigger return spring and plunger, rotated the sear forward and secured it in position with disconnector level. Next step is where my problem keeps occuring: if I install thumb safety and then rotate it forward, when I flipp the frame on its right side and then try to align the pin holes of the bolt stop lever and the thumb safety and insert the hammer pivot pin, the thumb safety just drops down. What I tried to do was to hold the thumb safety inside the frame, then install the bolt stop lever, align the holes and insert the pin. Make sure the pin is just flush with the thumb safety and then insert the discnnector lever with hammer and washers and push the pin through to the right side. I then tried to assemble the pistol: pushed the barrel/receiver on, aligned the holes, inserted the bolt and pushed in the mainspring housing bolt pin (the head showed above the receiver ), but could'd close - bolt kept sliding out. I don't know what else to do. Are there any forum members in the eastern part of Mass that I could contact for help?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:10 am

Everything looks like you installed it correctly right up to the part where you inserted the bolt. I'm a little fuzzy on the last part of your description. When you say the bolt kept sliding out - did you mean the bolt in the receiver? Or, did you mean the bolt stop pin as you were attempting to close the mainspring housing.

If it was the bolt, then I noticed you didn't mention the recoil spring assembly on top of it in your installation.

If it was the bolt stop pin as you're closing the mainspring housing, then your hammer needs to be pushed fully forward before you attempt to close the housing with the hammer strut on the mainspring cap. If the hammer's not fully forward (up) then closing the housing will force the bolt stop pin back out of the receiver and you won't be able to close it. Flip the pistol upside down and use a tool to push the hammer fully forward with an empty mag installed and the trigger pulled. Like in this picture.

There may be someone is MA that could assist but they'll have to contact you after they read this.

Hopefully I've given you some helpful info to finish that assembly.

R,
Bullseye