Wolff Bearcat springs

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Wolff Bearcat springs

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Have some on the way for both Bearcats. I ordered individual 18 pound hammer springs, rather than Wolff's Shooter's Pak which has an 18 and a 16 pound spring. Some Googling told me that some Bearcats will FTF with the 16 pound, so I passed on that weight.

Factory hammer spring is 22 pounds, so I think 18 will give a good improvement. Bearcats will never be target guns, but a little lighter trigger can't hurt. Should save wear on action parts, too.

I've wanted these for some time, but thought my Cats would "break in" better with factory springs. Both are close to 1k rounds now, so they're ready.

Now to decide when to spare some precious ammo for them.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Got 'em yesterday, easy install. I didn't even need the "special tool" (table fork). Clamped the struts in a vise, and my fingers were sufficient to compress the springs and manuever the pin punch.

Nice thing about having two Bearcats, I could change the first one, and compare it to the second. Nice difference, technically only 18% less tension, but definitely noticeable in cocking and trigger pull.

No change that I can see in firing pin impressions on used brass. I had saved some from the last range trip to compare.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols