22/45 (original) mag seating question???

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

22/45 (original) mag seating question???

Post by Tony S45 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:33 am

I have eight mags for my 22/45s (originals, not MKIII). Both Ruger frames that I have require the mag to be seated and then a slight forward push to be correctly and fully "locked" into place.

I have both Ruger and Dominck Notaro mag bases and yes I did scrape a bit of the Notaro bases to get a proper fit.

I did read an entry on another forum from a poster who decribed a gentle process of relieving the lock bump on the mag body to eliminate the forward push; however, I'm reluctant to begin filing away on a mag.

Does anyone have any other solutions? I did a search but didn't find any related threads.

Thanks in advance.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 pm

In the older Mark II 22/45s the mag seating was an issue. The remedy was to ensure firm seating by pushing the front edge of the magazine upward to get a locking "click". Another way to accomplish better seating is to deepen the slot in the bottom of the frame. But this depends on how much clearance you have on your pistol's ejector pin. If the magazine is already touching the ejector pin there is little or no room for relief. However since all your magazines have this problem it would appear tuning the bottom of the frame is necessary for all the magazine to seat properly. What you do is take a file and carefully deepen the bottom flat portion of the magazine base slot on the front and back strap portions of the frame about .010" at a time (not the edges or "wings" of the magazine base slot, just the lower flat portion). Check seating with your mags after deepening the slot every .010". Once positive latching is accomplished cease deepening the slot in the base of the frame. You should not need to go any deeper than .020" to achieve a good positive fit. Also, the cuts you make to the bottom of the slot will not be externally visible, so take care not to gouge or scratch the external portion of the frame as you cut with the file. Place some masking tape along the inner edge of the slot and on the outside of the frame to protect from marring the surfaces. If you manage to go a little too deep, the magazine will seat itself correctly by gravity, so there's really no harm here in modifying the bottom of the frame.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 am

Excellent advise. Thanks Bullseye.

I'll spend some time this weekend (hopefully) studing the relationship of the mag and the ejector pin. I assume that one must take an equally tiny amount off both the front and rear of the straps to ensure that the mag angle remains the same vis-a-vis the reciever to ensure proper feeding.

I'll post my results.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 am

No assuming necessary, that is good thinking on your part and poor writing on mine. You shouldn't need to take much off of the frame to get the fitment you desire. You are somewhat restricted by the clearance of the magazine's feed lips and the ejector pin but you're already stated that you can lock the magazines in place by pushing upward on the bases so I'm inclined to believe that you have enough room to make this modification.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:03 pm

"We have met the enemy and he is us!" said Pogo.

First I must confess that upon recount I found that I have ten 22/45 mags, but no hanging chads!

Secondly, for both of my 22/45s all of the mags are within a hairs breath of touching their respective ejector pin. Don't want to deepen the frame because of this.

Third, five of my mags had the Notoro mag bases and five were Ruger.

Spending time studying the relationship between the mags, mag bases, and guns disclosed that two of the Notaro mag bases were "floppy" because of their extra large holes for the mag spring plunger(s). Those two mag bases caused excess jiggling to get the mag to seat properly in both guns.

Do NOT think that this is a slam against Mr. Notaro. He provided a few needed small inexpensive parts for we Ruger fans and I am greatful.

Therefore based on this info I replaced the two out-of-round mag bases with two other Notaros that I had and yes the front portion did need a little scaping to fit correctly. Principally because of the odd shape (semi-elliptical?) of the Notaro mag bases, those mags seat more firmly without the needed slight push forward than the flat Ruger mag bases. Therefore, I'm wiser than before this discovery and I will get five more Notaro mag bases to complete the changeover from the Ruger stock mag bases and leave all else alone.

Two questions remain:

If I still elect to slightly relieve the frame bottom will the touching mag lips eventually bend the ejector?

Perhaps I should relieve one of the extra mag bases rather than the frame to see if I can get the same improved results.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 am

The ejector is riveted to barrel/receiver and do not get knocked off or loosen easily. I don't know much about the 22/45's but on the steel frame guns you normally have about 1/32-1/16" clearance between the mag and ejector. And if the mag is setting too high it can knock the bullet off the extractor before it gets to the ejector and cause stove pipes.

Bullseye or other may know more about what kind of clearances the 22/45 require.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 pm

No the magazines will not loosen the ejector through normal insertion. They can loosen the ejector if one slams the magazine in with the palm of their hand if the magazine is touching the pin.

A gap of 1/16" is sufficient to prevent premature spent case knock-off.

Modifying the tops of your magazine bases would serve the same purpose and would not make the feed lips any closer to the ejector pin. I only suggested modifying the frame because you indicated that all eight magazines had this problem therefore a slight frame mod would provide clearance for all. If you have some that are more resistant to seating than others then relieving the tops of the bases with a file would allow for better seating.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:10 am

Had a chance to restudy the mag/mag base/ejector relationship over the Holiday break and report the following:

1) Both my 22/45s allow the left rear mag lip to (almost) touch the ejector in each gun. Can't even get a piece of paper between them when seated. The bottom of the ejectors do not show any signs of wear or distress nor do the left rear mag lips. However, no stovepipes or any other reliability problems what-so-ever which leads me to conclude that the mags are at an optimum height in the receiver!

2) The Dominic Notaro mag bases (with the proper sized holes for the mag spring plungers) do allow for the most confident mag insersion versus the stock Ruger mag bases.

3) Excellent advise about slamming home a mag, Bullseye. However, I can't promise not to do it on occasion. Moreover, I allow all safe qualified shooters in our local shooting club to handle and shoot my rimfire guns so mags may periodically be inserted with force.

Conclusion: As usual, I have learned a lot from the inquiry on this website and will not alter the frame or mag bases leaving well enough alone. Thank you for your assistance.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 am

Some pistols function well with the magazine almost touching the ejector pin, or even touching, but this depends on other internal parts being tuned to do their job well. If your extractor is holding the case firm enough against the bolt then you likely have plenty of spent case engagement on the ejector for a strong ejection. Some folks guns have a little slop in the extractor which causes the case to become knocked loose prior to the casing striking the ejector pin, this causes a weak ejection.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 am

Excellent point, Bullseye. I have Volquartsen (V) extractors in every Ruger rimfire that I own.

Another plus of the V extractors is that they are strong enough to allow a press check to ensure that a round is in the chamber when reloading for the next stage of Action Pistol matches. The original Ruger extractors will break off the tips if the shooter press checks too often. Our shooting club members including myself have experienced breakage with stock Ruger extractors. For bullseye matches, as you well know, a shooter loads five rounds and can call for an alibi, if necessary. For Action Pistol it's wise to load seven in case of a misfire/dud and quickly cycle the slide to hopefully get off six shots - no alibies allowed. Next step is to press check to ensure a correct round count, new mag of another seven, and wait for the next buzzer!

The Notaro base pads have now been redesigned with a flat bottom, a'la 1911 style, per his website (www.tech-custom.com/) rather than the semi-elliptycal shape of the originals. Very reasonably priced. I'm ordering another 1/2 dozen and expect them to be functional and a real plus for the 22/45.