Ruger 10/22 modifications

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 pm

I think some people are too quick to mod a gun. They take it out of the box, and do some modding before they even shoot one round. They might be surprised if they shot a few, and saw how nice the stock gun is!
I agree, the only thing I change right out of the box is to put tech-sights on a 10/22.

I suppose I might delete some worthless schmafety features if I picked up another Ruger rimfire pistol, the threaded-barrel 22/45 models keep telling me to take them home, the big thing stopping me is the need for a detail strip and parts swap (well, that and needing to order more magazines) ... the gun budget has the needed cash, I'm just lazy and already have two tweaked standard frame pistols.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Update

Post by Coach1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm

I ended up ordering the "package" from PFI. It arrived today. The extended mag release is well made, and the laser etched company logo is a nice touch. The package includes a VQ auto bolt release. So, along with the nylon bolt stop, I have all the mods in hand. I will install them on Friday and take the rifle to the range on Saturday... after the Dixie Gun & Knife show at the Raleigh fairgrounds. A few of Life's small pleasures... :D
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Status report

Post by Coach1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I just installed the mods on my 10/22.

The Auto Bolt release is one I know I will enjoy. Bullseye was right tho.. If one has the bolt locked back and pop the stock butt, the bolt will release / fly forward I do not see that as a safety issue if the manual safety is on.

The extended mag release looks good and works great for the 10 round rotary and the 25 round extended mags. This will make magazine changes fast and easy.

The polymer bolt stop proved to be the most ornery. The pin was slightly larger in diameter.. by just a hair. It took a little extra persuasion (changed from my light mallet to my claw hammer) but with a little patience it is in nice and tight.

My son-in-law had a problem come up that will prevent him going to the gun show this weekend. So we will catch the next one. Its no fun going by myself. :?
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Coach, those mods all help but mostly the 10/22's need some good trigger work, after that they shoot really well.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 pm

the only thing I wish the 10/22 had that it doesn't is a last shot hold open. other than that so far I've only done a little polishing on my trigger parts to smooth things out.....and shot the bejeezus out of it!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:the only thing I wish the 10/22 had that it doesn't is a last shot hold open. other than that so far I've only done a little polishing on my trigger parts to smooth things out.....and shot the bejeezus out of it!
Hollow point high velocity bejezus or lead round nose standard velocity bejezus?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm

mostly high-vel bulk pack bejeazus... no hyper vel bejeazus and only a little standard vel bejeazus
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

hammer work

Post by Coach1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm

I think my urge for tinkering is satiated for now with the changes I made.. noted above.

But I did look at "trigger" mod info on the usual websites. VQ, Power Custom and others sell a trigger, hammer and sear.. ala carte.. for about $70.

Full lower "target / performance" receivers are touted at relatively modest prices... if you want polymer.

But the metal / machined ones are north of $200. That is way out of my budget for a plinker mod.

So, I will blast away with the trigger/sear/hammer.. that came from Ruger.. and have fun... for now. Until the tinkerer in me reasserts himself. :?

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Wed May 23, 2012 7:19 am

I second that auto bolt release mod. That makes it a lot easier. Before you about have to be a contortionist to operate it without dropping the rifle. I was gonna do the nylon buffer but I went to 4 diff places & all the had were threaded all the way up. I'll check the local ace hardware today. I've got a '89 10-22 carbine in stainless that was pretty beat up when I got it at a garage sale for $50. I decide last year I was gonna refinish the stock & it turned out so nice that I decided to also redo the reciever, trigger & housing & barrel band. After removing the clear protective coating from all the aluminum parts I re-brushed it all with a gray scotchbrite pad & re-cleared it with a urethane automotive clear. I painted the stampings & lettering in the reciever black & the ruger logo red before clearing & it turned out beautiful. Too nice to take in the woods squirrell hunting so I picked up a Rem 597 target model w/ the heavy barrel to hunt with til I find another 10-22. I've since added a Boyds Blaster thumb hole stock & ShootersRidge fluted 18.5" stainless bull barrel. I've stoned & polished the hammer & sear & polished the disconnector. Reshaped & polished the trigger plunger. Chamfered & polished the bolt. Polished the guide rod. Tuned up the extractor a bit. I think after I get the nylon buffer I'll be done modding this gun. Now I have an extremely good looking & accurate shooter. I really like the more natural pistol like hold the thumb hole stocks provides. It's a lot more comfortable to shoot. That's the only reason I got a bull barrel was to be able to use the stock. My factory barrel shoots just as good as the bull, so far. I've only put about 200 rds thru the new set up. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll get some up of my 10-22 & 22-45

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm

You need an image hosting site like Photobucket or the like to act as an image server to add in images on the forum. Once you have an account all you need to do is add image html tags to your posts. The forum software has buttons on the reply screens to automatically place the tags along with the host server's http:// address.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 pm

If I've got this image thing figured out then there should be a pic of my 10-22 below. And if not then I'm not sure how to do it.

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 am

Well I guess someone's gonna have to explain exactly how to do the picture thing to this simple country boy. I apologize as I'm somewhat computer illiterate. I can usually thumb my way around after my daughter turns the machine on for me. Thanks. Biggjimm.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 am

I'm having trouble with the http address on that one. I made it a hot link so folks can click on it to see the rifle. The image tags were good. I'll work with it later when I have some more time and see if I can get the image to load properly.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 am

The image is coming up but very small and does not expand. Your size needs to be 640x480 for forums with a max 800x600. Any thing larger is hard on those with dialup. Yes some of us still have to use dialup, part of the country life.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I noticed the image was sized small on the photobucket server but that image was uploaded from a mobile phone and this is likely the reason. The address may also be the problem for the host to provide to my server for display.

R,
Bullseye