Fitting 22/45 upper on MKII

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Fitting 22/45 upper on MKII

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:35 am

Help!

I've searched and scrolled but can't find the prior posting that explained (IIRC had a picture, also) the modification of the underbelly of a 22/45 upper required for it to properly fit a MKII lower. Can some one direct me to the info please.

Thanks in advance.

Tony S45

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

I've answered this question many times over the years on many different forums but I'll be darned if I can find the one here like you described. It may have been back on MarkIII.org, I can see the picture you're asking about in my mind. I do have an old thread here (without the picture) MKIII & MKIII 22/45 interchangability

From the earlier thread-Posted: 18 Jun 2007 09:08 am

<<The answer is some will and some won't. I usually describe this procedure at least once every four months so here goes: The 22/45's underside is peened at the factory to make the receiver fit snugly on the polymer frame. The regular metal framed pistols will not accept the receivers from a 22/45 due to this dent. The 22/45's will accept the receivers of the regular Mark II/III pistols but some still don't fit quite right. It is an individualized fit, this does not work universally for the Ruger 22 auto pistols, you just have to try it and see. If you can get a match up there's no additional modifications necessary.>>

and I'll just add the picture here.

In order to fit the 22/45 receiver onto a Mark II/III frame the dent has to be removed or swaged out of the peened underside of the receiver to create enough recess clearance for the frame's front mounting lug. Sometimes minor grinding will relieve enough metal in the lug recess to fit a 22/45 receiver onto a regular metal frame, but this is only for receivers that need minor minor alteration for fitting onto the front lug. Generally swaging the receiver will press the dent outward, I have a specially ground tool that I use for this purpose. This is one tool I'm not willing to share as fitting a 22/45 receiver is a unique process for each particular frame. Sometimes I also have to modify the front mounting lug to allow the receiver to be properly positioned on the frame for ease of bolt stop insertion.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks, Bullseye.

As usual you're right on the spot!

Reading between the lines, you're really stating that if I properly alter the 22/45 upper to fit the MKII metal lower then the 22/45 upper and original 22/45 lower will now be loose-as-a-goose and require many beverage can shims in order to fit snugly ever again. Further, the uber-shimming may actually change the relationship between the 22/45 upper & lower which may possibly result in feeding issues which I do not have in the unaltered gun.

...or politely stated, unless it something that must be done, then "LEAVE IT ALONE!"

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 am

Yes sir! :D

R,
Bullseye