D&T a Barrel for Scope mount on a 61 vintage Browning AT

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

D&T a Barrel for Scope mount on a 61 vintage Browning AT

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:52 pm

I have a 61 Browning ATD that needs the barrel D&T. Does anyone know what screw size Browning uses for these holes? I've given up on receiver mount. I have it tight as I tare tighten the connection and forearm position still impacts POI. I will be using a end mill to D&T the barrel. I made some wood V blocks to grip the barrel in my vice so I no not mark the barrel up.

btw. Does anyone know what the going rate for a gunsmith doing the D&T. I have one local gunsmith I may use if he is reasonable.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm

6-48 tpi is the standard hole size and thread pitch for scope mounting. Cost varies between smiths depending on how much set-up is required, $15 to $20 per hole is the typical going rate.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 am

Thank's Bullseye for letting me know what the going rate is. The gun shop that I want to use is closed on Sun and Mon so I will check with them on Tue.

I think there is a local supply house that has the tap's, starter and bottom hole. If not there are a few items I'm needing from Midway and/or Brownells if there rate is too high.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm

The local gunsmith want $20/hole for the D&T so I think I'm going to let him do it. The mounts should be here by friday. I knew he was going to ask about the collector value of the this old Browning. I told him it's a shooter and this would be an upgrade. He agreed that the barrel mount is better than the receiver mount. If I was do do it I would have to check the indexing of my vice, which can be very time consuming.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Wise move Blue, better to let someone who is experienced in the trade do it. Could end up a lot less costly in the end. My Interarms ATD clone has the cantilever mount, only trouble is you need a scope with a lot of eye relief.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 pm

The scope/mount I have now does not give me enough eye relief, so moving it forward will help in my case. If it does not work out I do have a Bushnell pistol scope I can put on it.

I have the skill set to D&T the barrel, just don't have the time right now. I have run lathes and endmills for 20+ yrs and even have a endmill in my garage. I machine my own molds (dies) for my leather work which saves me $1k of dollars.

The last time I used a gunsmith to D&T scope mount the Gunsmith ruined the gun. I could have drilled it closer using a hand drill. I have not used one since (~37yrs ago), so I hope I have the right gunsmith.
David

Custom Built 1911

PISTOLERO

Mueller Quickshot

Post by PISTOLERO » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:58 pm

David: I received the QS on Dec 6.
I have not had time to use it on the range. I see about the mounting. I am going to try it as is and see if my arm does not get to tired. Do you think a Dremmel Tool is sufficient to make the extra groove in case I decide to do it?? Regards Pistolero 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"When I change the way that I look at things.
The things that I look at, change." D.Dywer

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm

I would probably use a small round file instead of dremel tool. But yes it will work if you go slow. You do need to go into the base material to get it deep enough.

As for my Browning, I bought another barrel so I did not have to have the original barrel D&T. This new setup has been working good for me. The tree rats don't have a chance now.
David

Custom Built 1911