Smallbore addict!

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Smallbore addict!

Post by Blindpig » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:30 pm

Hey, Bullseye! Since I bought my Mark II and worked it over, I've become completely addicted to this smallbore stuff! My centerfires are all sitting around gathering dust. Now I've got the hots for a Ruger 10/22 Target model. My question is, do you recommend using a rimfire scope with a parallax setting at 50 yards or is it worth the extra money to go with a scope that has a larger objective lens (say 40mm) and adjustable objective setting such as BSA's 3-12x40?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:24 pm

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 for my smallbore rifle when I use the scope. I like the adjustable objective scopes. I even bought a 50' adapter lens for focusing it in at closer ranges.

R,
Bullseye

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:54 am

Hey, Bullseye! Since I bought my Mark II and worked it over, I've become completely addicted to this smallbore stuff! My centerfires are all sitting around gathering dust.
==============
I hear you loud and clear.
I luv my Anschutz too.
AND my Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 are a dream (Thank you, Bullseye-- may your tribe increase).

However, my centerfire rifles ARE gathering dust NOT because I'd gotten rid of the itch (LOL) but because---
1) there's only a 25-yd indoor range hereabouts
2) 100-yd ranges are at least an hour and a half away
3) Most don't allow bullets that stick to a magnet --and I can afford milsurp ammo only for my Garand and my .308 :'=((
4) The only outdoor range that allows blasting with milsurp ammo is a disaster area: open air firing parapet; you use loose stones to prop up your frame and pray it stays up; I wuz lucky-- mine was knocked down by the wind only once. (No- haven't been to the classier ones.)
5) And- now, get this, guys: NO sign saying "Pick up your own brass only", BUT there IS a sign saying "RATTLESNAKE AREA". Hor hor hor!!!
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:03 pm

jaeger45 wrote:I hear you loud and clear.
I luv my Anschutz too.
AND my Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 are a dream (Thank you, Bullseye-- may your tribe increase).
My family will only increase through the next generation, my fathering days are passed. I'm not a grandfather yet but that situation could change any day now.
However, my centerfire rifles ARE gathering dust NOT because I'd gotten rid of the itch (LOL) but because---
1) there's only a 25-yd indoor range hereabouts
2) 100-yd ranges are at least an hour and a half away
3) Most don't allow bullets that stick to a magnet --and I can afford milsurp ammo only for my Garand and my .308 :'=((
4) The only outdoor range that allows blasting with milsurp ammo is a disaster area: open air firing parapet; you use loose stones to prop up your frame and pray it stays up; I wuz lucky-- mine was knocked down by the wind only once. (No- haven't been to the classier ones.)
5) And- now, get this, guys: NO sign saying "Pick up your own brass only", BUT there IS a sign saying "RATTLESNAKE AREA". Hor hor hor!!!
One option is to make a portable target stand out of 2X4s. You can take it to the range, break it down, and throw it into the trunk after you're through.

Jaeger - Remember me in your will for that Buckmark of yours. :D I don't usually like Buckmarks but yours is one sweet shooter! Gunplumber did a great job tweaking that one for you! I don't do Buckmarks! At least for the moment, that position can always change if the need arises.

R,
Bullseye