Recommend me a lever action 22 cal

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 pm

What, no .44-40, I thought that was the State lever gun?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 pm

bearandoldman wrote:the State lever gun
I don't think we have anything to hunt that "needs" a 44-40...
unless maybe it's them 'Yankees'... --grin

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:53 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:the State lever gun
I don't think we have anything to hunt that "needs" a 44-40...
unless maybe it's them 'Yankees'... --grin
Watch out for this Yankee he carries a bigger gun. The .44-40 did make a lot of sense though as you could have your revolver and rifle in the same caliber and not have to worry about mixing up the ammo. That was the first center fire cartridge if I remember correctly, I was young at the time you know. :D

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Marlin 336

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 am

I had a Marlin 336a in 30-30 that I bought in about 1958. $75.00 as I remember. Killed several deer in Missouri while I was in high school. Really a good rifle that would point in a heart beat. It was stolen along with most of my other guns while I was in college. I was never able to recover any of them which still makes me cry. Some family heirlooms and a couple that I had worked hard to earn money to buy. Wish I still had them all. :cry: :cry:
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Re: Marlin 336

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:23 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:I had a Marlin 336a in 30-30 that I bought in about 1958. $75.00 as I remember. Killed several deer in Missouri while I was in high school. Really a good rifle that would point in a heart beat. It was stolen along with most of my other guns while I was in college. I was never able to recover any of them which still makes me cry. Some family heirlooms and a couple that I had worked hard to earn money to buy. Wish I still had them all. :cry: :cry:
Can't blame you for that my friend, you work hard for something and then some lazy jackass steals it to buy dope or booze or something that he just blows away. They should put that effort into doing good and this world would be a lot better off, except the jail guards would have to look for a different line of work.
Still thinking of getting a Henry in .22LR if warm weather ever gets her to MI, one in .357 to go with my Blackhawk would be all right too.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Thanks for the thought...

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 am

It must be all this global warming that is keeping MI cold. Spring isn't to far off. My red maple in the back yard is starting to break bud already. It is always ahead of the game. I had a black lab that was a grand old gal. My son has a golden now that is one of the happiest dogs I ever saw. He just always looks like he wants to do something with you.

I hope you do get a Henry. The H001 is just a fun little gun to handle and shoot. Nothing fancy nor pretentious. Just a nice little rifle. Nothing wrong with the simple life. You know, when you get our age, the simple things in life mean more. Well, that's enough maudlin thoughts for today. Hope the sun is shining for you today. :wink: TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

Tigerbeetle, I hear all this global warming stuff, but there is white stuff on the ground and I don't think it is flour or sugar. they are telling me we may get another half a foot of it overnight and tomorrow morning.
Golden's are real people dogs, Bear is at me feet right now, if I leave the room for 5 minutes he will come looking for me in case I need company. Sometimes it's hard to get anything done around the house because every time you move you have to step over him, but I wouldn't trade that for anything. I think as soon as the tree's bud we will get a Henry .22.

Hunter678

Another vote for Henry Repeating

Post by Hunter678 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Im a fan of Henry too; be it my .22 lever, or my .357/.38spl Big Boy the finest action Ive found yet. Further, the American Walnut is top notch.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 am

Welcome to the forum Hunter!

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Re: Another vote for Henry Repeating

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:21 am

Hunter678 wrote:Im a fan of Henry too; be it my .22 lever, or my .357/.38spl Big Boy the finest action Ive found yet. Further, the American Walnut is top notch.
Welcome and glad tohear the Henrys are good guns.
When and if Spring everr get to MI, I will probably get an H001.

JByer323

Post by JByer323 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:13 pm

My father has a Henry with the octagonal barrel, and I must say, I love it! I've used a fair amount of lever actions, but out of the box, that one has got to be the smoothest one I have ever experienced!
Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal, these are principles that every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:40 pm

JByer323 wrote:My father has a Henry with the octagonal barrel, and I must say, I love it! I've used a fair amount of lever actions, but out of the box, that one has got to be the smoothest one I have ever experienced!
Well I have a Henry H001, got ot last week and shot it for the second time today, good shooter. Much beter as it now has a HiViz sight on the front that these old eyes can see.