Need advice on first .22 rifle.

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

GUNS4ME

Need advice on first .22 rifle.

Post by GUNS4ME » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:14 pm

I've been shooting for years but I never had a .22 rifle. I just got a .22 Ruger MKIII and I love it. I want to get a .22 rifle next for informal target shooting and informal shooting at steel plates at 50 and 25 yards. I'm leaning towards Ruger 10/22. But which model should I get: the target model or a basic SS model and then dress up the basic rifle with after market accessories?

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:16 pm

B4u buy look at the CZ line of rifles.

They are bolt action and very accurate right out of the box.

A 10/22 can be a money pit, a big deep money pit.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:33 pm

For your intented use it makes sense to get a bolt action.
Yes, the CZ's are very accurate otb and affordable.
The Ruger 77/22 is also nice but a bit more $$.
The stock 1022 is a great plinker and with some $$$ be made to be very accurate via the bench.

SD

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by wlambert » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:18 am

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has some new Kimber target .22's at a very good price. The only catch is that you must be a member of an affiliated club.

wlambert
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:56 pm

wlambert wrote:The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has some new Kimber target .22's at a very good price. The only catch is that you must be a member of an affiliated club.

wlambert
Yes, which is not hard to do. That's how I got my M1 from them years ago. I was a member of a gun club NOT affiliated with them, so that CMP advised me to hook up with an affiliate even just for one season till I get my M1. Actually, I continued my membership for two years so I could stock up on .22 and .30 cal milsurp then bailed out.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:11 pm

wlambert wrote:The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has some new Kimber target .22's at a very good price. The only catch is that you must be a member of an affiliated club.

wlambert
A friend said he got his fm CMP for $600 which he considers a very good price considering "the incredible accuracy." So much so that he plans to get another.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm

If you want accurate out of the box for not much money, try a Marlin or a Savage G with their accutrigger.

My son did this with his Savage shooting from a rest at 50 yards shooting bulk ammo. He hasn't offered to send a followup target.

I haven't gotten there with my Glenfield Mod. 60.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:24 am

Another vote for CZ. I've owned several .22 rifles and my 452 American is the most accurate of the bunch. For the price, I don't think you can find a better made rifle.

GUNS4ME

Post by GUNS4ME » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:01 pm

I went with Ruger 10/22 SS All Weather rifle.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... s/109L.jpg
I shot 350 rounds of Federal Classic Hi Vel. I had no FTF or FTE. I put a Simmons 42mm red dot on it. The rifle is so much fun, I had more fun with this rifle than with rifles costing 3 to 4 times as much. I was shooting plates at 25 and 50 yards. This set up is very fast. The only concern for me was when I took it apart, the finish on the inside of the receiver is wearing off, from the bolt and the recoil spring, but I don't think it's big deal.

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:28 pm

The interior wear is pretty normal. After a few thousand rounds the action starts feeling like glass. Good choice!
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:36 am

Congrats on the shooter! That's a great choice.
Yeah, everything sounds normal for wear. Try some inexpensive bulk Federal ammo and continue having a great time with it.
You know of course that in time you'll want those enhancements that are almost endless on a 1022. :) Some DIY and cheap.... some a little more costly. :wink:
Many here are willing to help.

SD

GUNS4ME

Post by GUNS4ME » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 am

Thanks guys. I already ordered extended mag release, VQ slide stop, recoil buffer pin, VQ bolt operating rod and spring, and more Ruger mags. Other than that I think I'm going to keep it as is. This rifle is fun to shoot and to tinker with. What is that finish on the receiver anyway? It comes off under normal working conditions? What about sand blasting it away?

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 am

I'm pretty sure that it is powdercoat. beware of using CLP or carb cleaner, as it strips right off if you do.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:52 am

Well, GUNS4ME, now you've gone and done it! You bought that 10/22 and already you're into the mods. No doubt, you caught this dreaded disease on this forum from Song Dawg. Go back and look at his post titled "The Obsession" and you'll see what will happen to you eventually. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any cure!

GUNS4ME

Post by GUNS4ME » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 pm

If can't use CLP, what should I use for cleaning the receiver?