My MOA 10/22 Build

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My MOA 10/22 Build

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:48 am

I have not been on this site for quite some time, I actually kind of lost track of this site. I am very disappointed that I did but I am back again. Here is my latest quest.

I have been looking at the MOA receiver for a long time now and just waiting for the day I could acquire one. I bought mine with the GreenMountain barrel due to the wait period on the other more expensive barrels (6 weeks).
This build has all KIDD internals (including Two Stage Trigger ) except the charging Handle (JWH) and a Revolution Stock, Tasco varmint Target 10X40-50 Scope with Sun Shade. I opened up the barrel channel to free float the barrel all the way to the receiver ( 4 sheets of paper thickness easily fits between the barrel and stock.
I have not been to the range as of yet but will post some pictures of the groups when I do. Maybe this weekend depending on the weather. I think I will name this gun Tank, it is a very solid heavy bench gun. I really like the way it turned out.
Here are several pictures including one that shows the two hold down receiver screws.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 am

Love the stock. Look great, let us know how it shoots.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:37 am

looks great, but hew do it shoot
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 pm

As far as how it shoots I can not answer that. This build has had a ruff start. When I first received the barrel and receiver from the manufacture and started putting the gun together the bolt extractor would not line up with the barrel slot. I also was not happy because the crown was not finished. He orders the barrel from GreenMountain as a blank. I sent the receiver combo back (cost $35.00 shipping ) he redid the crown and the extractor slot was fixed. Got it back after getting lost/stolen in the USPS mail. Took it out and the grouping was terrible. After the range session got looking at the crown closer. The crown looked good but the rifling was all chewed up approx. 1/16 " into the muzzle. I do not know if he did not use a bushing when he cut the crown or not but definitely chewed the rifling up. I called him again and complained he said he was embarrassed and would send me a $35.00 check to pay for the shipping and to please give him a chance to make it right.
I think what I will do is take the $35.00 dollars and the rifle is going to my Local Gunsmith Monday ( 4-14-2014) and he charges $35.00 to re-crown. I do not want to hassle and send it back and it took me several phone calls to the post office to get the rifle back from what they say was a misplacement. I believe it was an attempt to steal it.
I am confident after the crowning that it will shoot outstandingly but time will tell. I am out of quality ammo and will purchase some this coming week, at least I hope. I miss the old .22 days when you could always find the ammo. I use to buy CCI SV for $9.00 a 100 my favorite, now I can not find it. So the 1000 rounds I am buying next week is going to cost me $220 for federal match grade. $11.00 a box of 50. Ouch !

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:18 pm

The other one is still waiting to see if it is a shooter but this one is an excellent 10/22. It's a 2008 TALO edition an will drive tacks. It has a KIDD 20" barrel and Mag release, JWH Bolt and charging handle everything else is stock, except the bipod. Love this little shooter. Look how nice the rifling is and the crown on this one. It has a perfect star at the muzzle. If the GreenMountain barrel on the other does not turn out better than it is now the other gun will be getting a KIDD barrel.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:40 am

That magazine release doesn't look like a TALO stock option.

I hope it shoots up to your expectations. I like the adjustable comb for shooting with a scope. It makes using optics much more comfortable.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 pm

Bullseye, you are so correct forgot all about the KIDD magazine release. I really Love that Fajen stock. There is one on eBay that I am very tempted on buying and making another one out of.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Got a Ruger Talo Altomont Classic III that shot well out of the box with just the trigger done at my LGS, he does all my triggers. Go the idea to see if it would shoot beater with the barrel floated. Had My LGS bed the receiver front ant rear and float the barrel, looked like a shotgun with OO buck in it. Used a piece of thin cardboard to make a pressure pad at the range and then it shot good again . Center target for is maybe 10mm, 25 yards rested with CCI SV.
ImageImage
Got a Savage MarkII BTVLSS in .22 that will do better yet. Told my bud tghat I could shoot through the ring binder hole and not touch the target paper, that gun ha smy confidence.Image

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 pm

bearandoldman, that rifle is a beaut. Very nice patterns also, mine is free floated due to having the rear hold down screw. I can not wait to see what it looks like and does after the Manufacturer that put the receiver and barrel together recuts and does the crown correctly.
I hope it does as well as yours. I also had a Savage bolt action, it was a good shooter but it always threw one flyer out of a string of 5. Aggravated me so bad that I just got rid of it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am

If it won't shoot floated you can always put in a pressure pad like I had to'
Yes, the wood is nice. even if the gun is wrong side t for me. My LGS ordered it and he got 3 of them in. Got there to pick it up and he put3 boxes on the counter and said pick out the one you want,, I can always sell the other.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Well got a email from the manufacture today and he stated that he did not know what I was talking about until he looked at the rifling in the barrel. He said that kind of threw him off because his tooling did not go into the barrel and he would not have caused that chattering on the rifling. He said he looked at three more GreenMountain blanks that he had and they all had the chattering in them. He stated that he would be calling GreenMountain this week about it. Stated he cut a .25 off the barrel and re-crowned it and that it should be good to go now. I have heard nothing but good out of GreenMountain and I hope now that mine is fixed it will shoot as good as I have heard they do.
I am suppose to get the rifle back Monday.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 pm

got a couple of their barrels, one each in bull and sporter and they both shoot very good

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Got the Barrel and Receiver back today. Much, Much better. That is what rifling should look like.
Now just have to find some Subsonic ammo ( around here it is $11 a box of 50 when you can get it ) and see what accuracy I get then. It will take a couple weeks to get the Sub stuff so I will just have to use the regular HP stuff until then.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Here is a new picture of the update with Tuner (Harold) I have not shot it as of yet. What is a good place to start with this tuner, I mean as far as setting ?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 pm

start at zero and see what happens when you make oone turn changes, all barrels will not vibrate at thr ssame frequency