New shooting system for youths

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

New shooting system for youths

Post by charlesb » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 am

The cold weather moderated enough for me to go shooting yesterday, and a fair number of other folks here got the same idea.

When I set up at my shooting position, the next bench over was being used by a proud father and his 8-year old daughter - while his older daughter sat with her head cradled in her arms, like TOTALLY bored!

He had the little girl shooting a youth-style single-shot .22, and had it in an unusual looking black plastic shooting rest with four legs on it.

When they finished up and were getting ready to go, he picked up the little rifle - and the shooting rest came with it! - It was attached to the gun.

I've never seen anything like that, but can see where it is a really excellent idea. The big thing to watch out for with juvenile shooters is the tendency to wave the gun around, unconsciously pointing it at folks nearby.

The attached shooting rest reduced the tendency toward that kind of oversight and made it easier for the child to concentrate upon trigger control, etc..

Nice folks to share the range with!

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 am

Sounds like an interesting system. If it isnso locked in that it can't be moved, the kid might become bored. When they start getting bored, they fast lose interest.

I've seen a few folks with two or three kids shooting. The ones that seem to keep the kids interested are doing fairly quick rotations.

I've seen a few adults that could use that safety system.