What to torque an aluminum stock, Anschutz action......

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What to torque an aluminum stock, Anschutz action......

Post by cousin jack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello! Longtime no speakie......

Indoor rimfire season is here again, and I'm getting my Anschutz Match 54 (1800 Series) ready for action, but.... I bought me an aluminum stock, non-Anschutz, http://www.pdccustom.com/, which is shaving a few pounds off the total weight, which I need as I age and get punier.....

I got my old Gehman torque wrench out to fix the screws, but I don't know what value I should use...... I put 5 1/2 Nm on, but that seems relatively wimpy......

Anybody have any thoughts or comments........? Seems to shoot very well with Aguila Blue Box......rifle is not bedded......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:53 am

5.5 Newton meters is nearly 50 Inch pounds that should be plenty good for your stock screws. If you're worried about the screws loosening under tension but a anti-sabotage stripe on your screw to mark them. If the part of the stripe on the screw head moves from the part of the stripe painted on the base then you have some rotational movement.

Nice looking stock by the way.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

Bullseye wrote: Nice looking stock by the way.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks, took a year, but it's beginning to work out.....I had to modify a Butt Plate/Hook that I already had, and had to build an entire offhand Butt Plate/Hook but my average is starting to creep back up where it used to be!

The fellow at PDC had never built one for an Anschutz before, but I sent him photos of the action and measurements, and the one he milled out fit pretty good...I only had to have a machinist friend mill out the tang area a wee bit.... and it was a heckuva lot cheaper than the Anschutz Precise!