Savage Rascal Youth Rifle

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

STB_43

Savage Rascal Youth Rifle

Post by STB_43 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Just purchased a Savage Rascal .22 rifle for my Grandkids to shoot. I took it out last week for sighting-in but concluded that the furnished peep sight has too large a diameter opening to accurately aim at 50' on an A-17 target (used for the Light Rifle Qual in the NRA/Winchester Marksmanship Program).

Savage makes a scope mount kit for the Rascal; two pieces mounted just ahead of and behind the the loading opening in the receiver (about 1 1/2" apart).

I'm debating whether a red dot or scope would be better for them. I suppose a better micro-adjustable peep sight might also be an option; the Rascal version adjustment is trial & error.

A scope such as the Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm Adjustable Objective looks like it would do the job but I am concerned whether a 12" scope might be too long for this rifle. I'm no expert on scopes but what I've tracked down suggests that it would be worth the extra money for the AO.

Red dots might also be a reasonable choice for them (my wife and I use a Matchdot on our pistols). I want them to be able to concentrate on their shooting form without sight alignment issues; they already get that with notch and post on their pistol. It seems most of the cheaper red dots have 5 MOA which strikes me as large for this target.

Since two kids will be alternating with this rifle (ages 7 and 10), any sight must easily handle eye-relief for their different positions.

I welcome any suggestions for either scopes or red dots, especially from anyone who has experience with the Rascal.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I have that Simmons on my Browning ATD, has served me well so far. A simple 2x scope may be good, if pistol scope it will have a long eye relief.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:47 am

Another option would be a standard style airgun rifle scope, because these can focus in at closer ranges, like 30'.

R,
Bullseye

STB_43

Post by STB_43 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for reponses. Do you think that there would be any physical size limitations with a Simmons considering the narrow range of rail adjustment? Bullseye: are you saying that a conventional scope will not focus at ranges much under 50'?

Do you have any thoughts on red dot versus scope for kids that age? They have done well (at my range) shooting an NAA Mini-Master with adjustable target sights on the NRA/Win Handgun Qual (paper plates & D-2's at 15'. Both have qualified Marksman and are working on Marksman 1st Class; our occasional range time is the limitation since we live a couple of states away. They live in Iowa and my understanding is that IA law prohibits youths under 14 from shooting handguns. Their parents just joined a gun club with a pretty good range and that's why I got the Rascal; they can shoot at home and be legal.

My main concern (other than safety, of course) is that they learn to shoot with proper positions. I like a red dot on my pistol but am less certain about what would be best for them in the light rifle qual; I do think that the stock peep leaves too much "open space" to accurately center on the A-17 bull.

Additional thoughts?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for reponses. Do you think that there would be any physical size limitations with a Simmons considering the narrow range of rail adjustment? Bullseye: are you saying that a conventional scope will not focus at ranges much under 50'?
Not usually without an adapter to reduce the focus range that is why an airgun scope would be better. You are not typically going to have the kids shooting much beyond 50' but there's a good chance they will want to shoot at a closer distance.

The biggest thing for them is how high the scope ends up off of the stock. If they have to position their heads way up above the stock to get proper eye relief or a good sight picture then adding the scope defeats the purpose of teaching proper positional marksmanship. Remember they have small proportions on their bodies and a scope may be too high above the comb for them to sight properly. They also have good young eyes, and what we perceive as shortcomings in the factory peep sights may not be so much for them.

R,
Bullseye