One of those Old days

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

One of those Old days

Post by greener » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Took two of my old rifles out Saturday. The Winchester Model 69 wanted to shoot right and I couldn't move the rear sight. I tried oil and beating on the sight with a hammer and brass rod. I managed to mushroom the rod a bit but couldn't move the sight. I hope some penetrating oil will loosen it up. My "old" eyes didn't help the grouping. (sandbag rest 25 yds)

The Glenfield Model 60 with the $5 scope from KMart did ok once I adjusted the sight. Shot everything but RGB's misfed 2 out of the first 3.

10 rounds with the Kimber .22 adapter on a 1911 and my old tendonitis told me it really didn't like shooting handguns. (Smaller Caldwell target)

Let a kid shoot the Glenfield for a while. He loved shooting the old gun. Don't know who was having the most fun, him or his granddad and I watching him.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:12 pm

I think I got you beat on that one. Paid $35.99 for my Model 60 at Kmart a long time ago and topped it off with a Tasco rimfire scope that cost $2.97. Funny, I get similar groups with it as the ones you show. Mine loves RGBs and Thunderbolts. I used to buy them by the brick for six bucks each; those days are gone. Nothing like loading up the old tube feed and popping off some rounds. A lot of tree rats fell to that rifle.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm

I inherited an old Marlin model 60 that my father kept around the farm, and that gun turned out to be a lot more accurate than I expected it to be.

We have tried a few scopes and an optical sight on it, but we always go back to the open sights with that gun, for the kind of shooting that we do with it.

This one likes the Winchester 555's OK. Once in a great while, there will be a mis-fire but most of the time they do just fine.

There is only one modification on the gun; I swapped out the front sight for another sight the same height that came off of a Ruger MkIII Hunter model pistol. It was a direct swap, the mounting particulars are the same on both sights.

The Ruger front sight has replaceable plastic glow-rods in green or red - but I ended up liking the red so I stick with that.

Because my Dad's old Marlin shoots and handles so well, and still looks good, I have been hesitant to buy another .22 rifle and get other stuff, instead.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:08 am

Bullseye wrote:I think I got you beat on that one. Paid $35.99 for my Model 60 at Kmart a long time ago and topped it off with a Tasco rimfire scope that cost $2.97. Funny, I get similar groups with it as the ones you show. Mine loves RGBs and Thunderbolts. I used to buy them by the brick for six bucks each; those days are gone. Nothing like loading up the old tube feed and popping off some rounds. A lot of tree rats fell to that rifle.

R,
Bullseye
Wasn't the ad "Load on Sunday, shoot all week."?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am

I don't remember the ads, but I like that 17 round magazine tube.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Bullseye wrote:I don't remember the ads, but I like that 17 round magazine tube.

R,
Bullseye
When I checked the quote, turned out to be a very old (War of North Aggression) quote about the Henry: "that damned Henry, they load on Sunday and shoot all week". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle
Henry Repeating Arms has been using it.

Sometime in the late 1980's they decreased the capacity to 15 rounds and shortened the barrel. I like the older models. Mine is a 1976 KMart purchase.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm

greener wrote:Wasn't the ad "Load on Sunday, shoot all week."?
tsk tsk

that's HENRY, not marlin

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:10 am

I had heard that saying before and knew its attachment to the Civil War referring to lever action repeating rifles, of which the Henry was the first.

My Marlin 60 was purchased just a few years before yours, 1974. I bought it on sale at K-Mart. I used to use it in light rifle matches because of the accuracy of the micro-grooved barrel. We'd often joke about competing with the $35 rifle with a $600 Leupold scope on it. Now days, I spend more for a brick of ammo than I did for the implement to shoot them.

R,
Bullseye