Sunday Afternoon Bench Rest Match

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Sunday Afternoon Bench Rest Match

Post by greener » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Did a "what the heck" this afternoon and plunked down my $5 at Black Creek to shoot USRA IR50/50 targets. Had a blast even though the results were less than stellar (184, 204, 217) in a perfect afternoon for shooting. There were a bunch or 247-249's and one 250 13X.

Great group of folks. Loaned me a rest. One even offered me his spare rifle.
Looks like some practice and a few upgrades if I try this again.
(rest, scope, stock).

Wonder if adding weight to the Fajen stock would make it a bit more stable.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Sunday Afternoon Bench Rest Match

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 am

greener wrote:Did a "what the heck" this afternoon and plunked down my $5 at Black Creek to shoot USRA IR50/50 targets. Had a blast even though the results were less than stellar (184, 204, 217) in a perfect afternoon for shooting.
Greener old friend, did you shoot at 25 or 50 yards? What ammo were you using? That 10 ring is pretty small if I remember it is .100 inches. Cut it and it is a 10, destroy it completely and it is an X, See the score from up in the UP and 250 is usually a tie and the match is won on X;s.
Lot different than shooting for groups, eh? Been shooting my GM bull or sporter lately and can get 5 shot groups of just over an 1/8th but hitting that little circle every time is another story completely.
Last edited by bearandoldman on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Re: Sunday Afternoon Bench Rest Match

Post by greener » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Did a "what the heck" this afternoon and plunked down my $5 at Black Creek to shoot USRA IR50/50 targets. Had a blast even though the results were less than stellar (184, 204, 217) in a perfect afternoon for shooting.
Greener old friend, did you shoot at 255 or 50 yards? What ammo were you using? That 10 ring is pretty small if I remember it is .100 inches. Cut it and it is a 10, destroy it completely and it is an X, See the score from up in the UP and 250 is usually a tie and the match is won on X;s.
Lot different than shooting for groups, eh? Been shooting my GM bull or sporter lately and can get 5 shot groups of just over an 1/2th but hitting that little circle every time is another story completely.
50 yards. I had a few X's. Spent time learning to use the borrowed rest.

Had a great time and low expectations but I should have done better.