First shot flier

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:39 am

My guess is that a good number of my fliers are me, but I get some of the "how in the heck did that happen" shots I think are related to ammo/barrel.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 am

greener wrote:My guess is that a good number of my fliers are me, but I get some of the "how in the heck did that happen" shots I think are related to ammo/barrel.
When you are using good/known ammo and a good/known barrel and you keep operating conditions the same, you know which off targets are you know very well which ones are operator inflicted. My flier problem is gone now that I have made the gun conditions the same for the first shot as for the next 9. The bolt position in this case was the problem, have not had a first shot flier since I changed my ways. II like big scope, being an old shotgunner and having shot many K of various gages on sporting clays, I am used to seeing something happen when I shoot. With the big scope I really do not need a spotter as I can see the hole appears in the target.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Nothing feels much better than solving a shooting problem before you change mounts,bedding,scopes,etc 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Was out shooting the Wasp, my 59*7 race gun today, damn for a stock gun that one really shoots well. Started running that with the closed bolt start position also.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.