How hard is it to work on a 10/22

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

hotroderx

How hard is it to work on a 10/22

Post by hotroderx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Going to a local gun show in the next 2 weeks and I am hoping to score a 10/22 cheap maybe 100-120 dollars used. I was wondering if there easy to work on as the 22/45 MK III Pistol. I love to pick up one that's having a minor issue for super cheap. If there easy to repair. I will also more then likely customize the gun anyway so why not get one that maybe needs a new trigger our something. I gotta say love working on my 22/45 as much as I do computers. So thanks guys in advance

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:22 am

10/22's are like old hot rods, there's plenty of aftermarket parts and they are easy to work on and customize. I don't know if you'll find one in the price range you've specified but you never know until you look.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:18 am

Easy to work on, yes, even old men can do it. Good luck on finding one for that price, Normally do not see many of them used and if you do they are usually only about 20 bucks less than a new one.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 am

Easier than a mkIII, everywhere but in the trigger pack.
About the same as working on a mkIII's fire control components, working in the trigger pack.

Good luck finding one that cheap, I don't see a lot of junkers at shows, I think most people with junked 10/22s do what you're thinking of doing, they surely don't go to a show looking to offload it cheap.

hotroderx

Post by hotroderx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Is this a abnormal price then guys

http://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html

Local store has them in stock for 205

Thats the model I am wanting I like the shorter barrel I think it look really good in a Tactical stock.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:55 pm

hotroderx wrote:Is this a abnormal price then guys

http://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html

Local store has them in stock for 205

Thats the model I am wanting I like the shorter barrel I think it look really good in a Tactical stock.
200 or 210 is about what the stock guns usually go for new around here. If you can find a used one they would most likely ask 175 approx, so a used gun is not such a savings and new ones are readily available.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:22 pm

I agree on price ($205-$250). I believe they are wholesaling in the range of $180 so the prices will be north of $200. The rest is easy. Remove the stock and replace the stock with a new one. Remove the barrel and replace the barrel with a new one. Some of the "drop in" barrels require "sanding" to fit into the receiver. I test fired a fluted, tapered Green Mountain barrel today. It was a very tight fit, but it went on my 10/22.

There are all kinds of aftermarket parts for 10/22's and you can easily double the investment with add-on barrels and stocks. But is sure is fun.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm

I saw a new K10/22-RBPBTC .22LR Carbine today for $199. Almost bought it but then I talked myself out of it. It was a very good deal but I really didn't need another .22 rifle.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Bullseye wrote:but I really didn't need another .22 rifle.
Blasphemer!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 am

Bullseye wrote: It was a very good deal but I really didn't need another .22 rifle.

R,
Bullseye
Got to agree with BFD, either that or just plain BALD FACED LIAR. You always need another rifle, unless you need a pistol in the worst way? Come to think of it I have in the past needed something in the worst way and a few of the buys have turned out that way.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 am

Come to think of it, I haven't purchased a new personal firearm in nearly a year now. While I liked that stainless 10/22, I still couldn't get past the fact that I have four other .22 rifles in the safe that I just do not get out and shoot much. I could've also chosen a nice birch stocked Carbine 10/22 model for $189. I liked the look of the black polymer stock and the stainless barrel but I just do not like the barrel band and the protruding fastener that goes with it. I've been keeping my eye out for a 10/22 Sporter model. If I find one of those for the right price then my .22 rifle collection will definitely increase by one.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am

Obviously you didn't know you needed one.
Let's see, stainless barrel, new stock to get rid of the barrel band, stoning out the 8# trigger, scope for the rifle. Yep, there is nothing like an off-the-shelf, ready-to-shoot 10/22. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 am

Generally when I have a mind for something it comes up at the right price. I just have to be patient and wait for it.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 am

Bullseye wrote:Come to think of it, I haven't purchased a new personal firearm in nearly a year now. While I liked that stainless 10/22, I still couldn't get past the fact that I have four other .22 rifles in the safe that I just do not get out and shoot much. I could've also chosen a nice birch stocked Carbine 10/22 model for $189. I liked the look of the black polymer stock and the stainless barrel but I just do not like the barrel band and the protruding fastener that goes with it. I've been keeping my eye out for a 10/22 Sporter model. If I find one of those for the right price then my .22 rifle collection will definitely increase by one.

R,
Bullseye
Now you got the right idea, hold out for the DSP sporter, a really nice shooter. Mine does well sttxck except for the trigger and a shiny blued barrel I took off one of my older guns, and it shoots well too. Image Image

greener

Re: How hard is it to work on a 10/22

Post by greener » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 am

hotroderx wrote:Going to a local gun show in the next 2 weeks and I am hoping to score a 10/22 cheap maybe 100-120 dollars used. I was wondering if there easy to work on as the 22/45 MK III Pistol. I love to pick up one that's having a minor issue for super cheap. If there easy to repair. I will also more then likely customize the gun anyway so why not get one that maybe needs a new trigger our something. I gotta say love working on my 22/45 as much as I do computers. So thanks guys in advance
Working on them isn't hard.
The stock is held on by a barrel band and a screw. Replacement is simple and usually requires no or very little fitting. The two stocks I've replaced simply required dropping the barrel and receiver into the new stock and tightening the screw.

Replacing the barrel is usually unscrewing the clamping piece, removing the old barrel and putting the new one in. Some require a little fitting.

The trigger group is pretty simple and made easier if you make a slave pin the width of trigger to hold the trigger and disconnector together when you reinstall it.

I replaced the hammer in one 10/22 last night and the extractor in another. Took me about 30 minutes because I did some lick and a promise cleaning. The actual replacements took under 5 minutes each counting disassembly and reassembly.