What Next?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I think the ones who do ammo testing say 1 round per inch of barrel. It all gets down to what lube is on the bullets. The wax coated ones are more sensitive but require fewer than the copper wash. I have had some WW Expert22 that took over 50 rounds in my MKIII before it settled down. I knew this ammo shot good in my gun before shooting fed bulk copper wash bullets. Every gun is different. Normally on a pistol 1 mag full is all that is needed. But rifles are a different story. Varies on weather you clean between ammo too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

18 or 20 inch barrels on my 10/22's and a 21 I believe on the MarkIIGL, usually the first 2 will be fliers and the next three will usually be touching each other. When changing ammo the POI will vary but they will group well, so all you need is4 to 6 clicks on one direction or the other.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

blue68f100 wrote:The target does not look too bad. Like you I would have expected better results from the MT. How may rounds did you put down the pipe before shooting the target? How was the wind where you were shooting?

Look at the bright side if it likes 510's that's probably about the cheapest ammo you can buy....
Wind was about zero.
I fired about 75 rounds of various ammo from each gun before going to the Wolf. I had to sight in the scopes because both had been changed. The Federal was about 2" right and 2" up compared with the other ammo. The first target with the Wolf with each rifle was a sight adjustment. All targets except the CCI subsonic are 10 rounds.

In my experience when changing ammo, 5 rounds is enough to stabilize the barrel and find the POI and then a few clicks here and there and then a couple more to check POI again. I usually do all my shooting at 25 yards and once in awhile we will do 50. As far as the Greener, the scope, gunstock, barrel, trigger and ammo are most likely all right, now the shooter?????
Couldn't be the shooter. Aren't we having increased solar flare activity? Must be that.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Must have been one of them bifurcated solar flares, they will get you every time.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 am

you guys finally broke me down....... picked up a brand new 10/22 carbine today....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:57 am

bgreenea3 wrote:you guys finally broke me down....... picked up a brand new 10/22 carbine today....
Now there is the minor matter of the barrel, stock, trigger. You can have all kinds of fun.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 am

greener wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:you guys finally broke me down....... picked up a brand new 10/22 carbine today....
Now there is the minor matter of the barrel, stock, trigger. You can have all kinds of fun.
When I bought my first one, I said that disease would never have any effect on me. Well, guess I was blowing smoke there, eh? From what I have seen, new is the way to go as around here it is damn near impossible to find used. If you do, you may save $25300 over a new, big deal. I do have a couple of stock barrels that shoot well. My "T" will shoot right with the GM barrel. Hope you were able to get a new one with the shiny blued barrel, My DSOP had a matte barrel and I had an extra shiny so we did a swap. Love that shiny blued barrel, especially the T where you can see the spiral hammer marks.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

wood stock, shiny blue barrel, plastic trigger gard, new ones all have a, extended mag release (plastic), barrel bands are now Plastic..... I was looking at a used one (still had a metal trigger gard) for $199 but it was gone in 2 days. so I spent $229 for a brandy-new one never out of the box.

the trigger will need work, heavy and lots of pre and overtravel, I'll get a range report up when I have a chance to shoot it.

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

bearandoldman wrote: you may save $25300 over a new, big deal.
that is big savings !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote: you may save $25300 over a new, big deal.
that is big savings !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes. but it is only a big savings when you miss the decimal point . and hit the 3 key. That is the local asking price here also, although my LGS would probably go $210.00 or less for an old customer. Nothing wrong with the plastic trigger housing, I have both and they all work fine. My LGS will do a trigger job for you for $30.00 and return shipping if you are interested, they have done all of mine and the Big Greener has shot one of them. Like I said, used are few and far between and damn near the same price as new.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 pm

few and far between........and they do not last long on the rack.

I blame you and greener for hoarding :wink:

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:few and far between........and they do not last long on the rack.

Actually the Big
Greener and I are doing our bit for humanity by trying to keep the hoarders from getting them Now I feel the need for a .22LR black gun again.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:few and far between........and they do not last long on the rack.

Actually the Big
Greener and I are doing our bit for humanity by trying to keep the hoarders from getting them Now I feel the need for a .22LR black gun again.
Tough job,but I admire the way you are holding up under the strain. :lol:

Black .22? Saw one this weekend at the range. Didn't have time to find out which one it was. got distracted by a cap and ball revolver.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh no Greener, not you too? My shooting buddy last April at a muzzle loader shoot at our club range, he got to shoot a black powder rifle, well now he has about six of them in various sizes and one flinter also, That black powder smell really got to him and he was hooked, You met Joe last year when you were here and shot his flinter I believe, got a video of that. Going to go look at an S&W MP15-22 tomorrow in a nearby town, my LGS does not have one and if they will make me a decent trade on my Remington 572 BDL it will moat likely come home with me.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 am

Have you checked out Ruger's video about the plastic trigger guard?

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/extras.html

It's one of the choices to the right of the viewer. Makes a convincing argument for it being a good improvement.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols