I think the 10/22s are breeding in the cabinet!

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 am

Greener wrote:I knew you had been around for a long time and had gained a lot of experience, but Revolutionary War Veterans Association? that's a long time. Laughing

Actually I got "grandfathered in" from the French and Indian War - Fort Necessity Survivors Assn. :D

I did a lot of investigation into the RWVA and their main goal is to promote marksmanship skills again and remind folks of our country's rich historic heritage all the way back to the early days of Lexington and Concord. One cannot be too careful when an organization invites you to participate; I don't wish to attend any anti-government militia rallies or an anarchist group meetings.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 am

Bullseye wrote:
Greener wrote:I knew you had been around for a long time and had gained a lot of experience, but Revolutionary War Veterans Association? that's a long time. Laughing

Actually I got "grandfathered in" from the French and Indian War - Fort Necessity Survivors Assn. :D

R,
Bullseye
And I thought I was the only really OLD GUY here?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

bearandoldman wrote:BFD, what mag is that in your M-1 replica it looks like it belongs in that period?
Either a Hot Lips or Steel Lips from Butler Creek, I rummaged around in the bin of 10/22 magazines and it was the closest thing to a box magazine in there.
Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=729071 <-- mine obviously, is a different color plastic, but in the clear you can see the innards better.

While it looks a bit like a period mag, it is actually about as far from 1940's tech as mags get, now think I think about it.

Some people have taken the 10/22 rotary mag and attached a dummy assembly to the bottom to resemble Carbine mags, unfortunately the curved shape is required for non-rotary .22lr magazines because of the rims, so you're pretty much stuck with a cosmetic cover to replicate the real M1 Carbine mags, and there's no way around the wrong magazine release that I can think of.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:57 pm

BFD, I do believe that down in my workroom/gun room, I have a couple of Butler Creek 25 or 30 round mags. They have more curve in them but should be great for plinking. Got to get me one of them M-1 stocks, can always just quickly pop a gun less stock into another stock for a quick plinking trip to the range.
You know back during WW2 in the 40's when I was a youngster the built a lot of those and also the .30 cal machine guns at Saginaw Steering Gear Plant #2, commonly around here called the "Gun Plant". They built a lot of them there and believe the guns were marked with :SSG"
That plant was only about a half mile from where I have live since 1962, they tore the old plant down and leveled it a few years back, nothing but a fence, old pavement and weeds now.somewhere. A lot of companies built them during the war years.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:05 pm

I'd have to dig it out to be sure but I believe my M1 was made in Saginaw

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 pm

99/100 wrote:I'd have to dig it out to be sure but I believe my M1 was made in Saginaw
Could very well be, understand they built a lot of them there.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:16 am

Well, I got to take the International/Mannlicher to the range today, finally.
Last trip I was unable to get long-gun time. I was too busy babysitting a new shooter for practical handgun use to head back to 50y.

It shot good groups ~ 5" left of POA at 50 yards, and about 3" left + 1" high at 20 yards.
Rather than dink about with the stock sights, I was going to take the Tech-Sights off of MrsBFD's rifle and set her up with a Red Dot optic ... but she made such nice neat ragged holes with her 10/22 that there was going to be none of that nonsense, her sights are zeroed and her interest in rimfire rifle shooting is renewed ... so I guess I have to order a third set of tech-sights, maybe I'll spring for the fancy elevation-adjustable model this time and set up the Intl. Model as a longer-range shooter with my M1/2 carbine (pronounce "Em one-half carbine") as a 100 yards and less gun.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 am

BFD, I put a Tasco 2.5-10x42AO scope on mine, because it was available and this old man likes scopes for his old eyes and body. I can shoot irons but scopes are just easier for me. Got her sighted in the other day and for a stock gun it doesn't shoot bad at all. going to be a fun plinker gun. Now as soon as I can get a donor gut, I will make me one of them little M-1's.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:37 am

I've never been comfortable behind glass, B&OM, don't know why.
I can do a red-dot, but when magnification is in the mix I can never find the happy spot where everything is in focus and I have a good field of view, I think it has something to do with a heavy prescription in the lenses already in front of my eye.

I was shooting the stock 10/22 irons OK, but it is so much work without the aperture, I would have torn the nice peep & post off of MrsBFD's gun right there if she hadn't claimed them as her own so well. The 10/22 is a great gun but that rear sight is a problem for me, they could have at least put on the peep from the mini-14 in the recent updating!