Browning ATD w/new barrel

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Browning ATD w/new barrel

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm

It has taken a while to get this done since my time has been limited since my dad had a double bypass and valve replacement on Nov 23. He is doing very well with the only issue now is he swollen feet and legs. He is doing well enough I could slip home for a few days before I head back.

I bought this replacement/used (new, Japan) barrel for the ATD so I could use the cantiliver mount, Leupold double dove tail mount. When I get back to my dad's I will post a picture of the gun. But here is the final target after about 100 rounds of Fed Auto Match at 25 yrds. I only fired about 20 of the Fed Bulk before switching over to American Eagle AE22 38gr HP ammo I use for hunting. I only fired 5 rounds before shooting that group, so the barrel may not be fully seasoned to this ammo. But I believe it's close enough. I have been picking the furry tail rats off now at 60 yrds with this setup. :D I just wish I had a shooting bench to shoot off of. I used a high chair for the barrel support while sitting in a chair. Not the best setup but was all I had. I guess I need to find a good set of plans for a portable shooting bench to make this summer while I'm house setting for him.

But in any case this is very good setup.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Targets looking good.
re: shooting bench. Here is a site for FREE plans.
also, remember plans are only a point to measure deviation from.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:24 pm

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Pretty good for an improvised bench. Looks like a good fit.

Glad to hear your dad is doing well.

Rifle Pic?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for the link. Will look in to them. I have the welding equipment too, so may be I can mix and match designs. One thing it has to be light enough for me and my bad back.

The gun is still at my dad's place, his coon gun. When I return this weekend I will get an updated photo of the 61 Browning ATD. I have a camera photo but it's so bad I'm not going to post it.

I do very little bench shooting any more so I was a little (very) rusty. I also had a problem with the Fed AM. Bang, bang, bang, pop, bang bang ..., with pop's 2" from the group. I had about 5 of these in 100 rounds. The pops brass was fully blackened down the sides like it did not seal off in the chamber. Federal is sending me replacements for my 2 boxes and shipping the bad back. I also need to see about lightening the trigger up on that gun. It seams heavier than my Sig 229, DA 9# pull. I may make that as one of my summer projects while I'm house sitting for him.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Well I finally got a round to take a photo of gun with the new Leopold mount. With the forward mount it allowed the scope to moved forward for a more comfortable position. For some reason when I bought the rings I was thinking about another scope that was silver. But I kind of like the contrast of the silver rings against the blue/black scope.

David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 pm

That new mount looks like it puts the scope in a very nice position. Farther back on the receiver would have made shooting that rifle a pain in the neck.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Your correct Bullseye. Using the std grooved receiver rail put the scope so far back it was almost unusable. This is why I went for this setup. Some reported that they could not move the scope back enough with this mount. But it worked out great for me with this larger Simmon's 22Mag scope. Very comfortable for me.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 am

blue68f100 wrote:Your correct Bullseye. Using the std grooved receiver rail put the scope so far back it was almost unusable. This is why I went for this setup. Some reported that they could not move the scope back enough with this mount. But it worked out great for me with this larger Simmon's 22Mag scope. Very comfortable for me.
Really like that buttstock, mine is an Interarms clone. It came with the cantilever mount when I bought it used a year or so ago I see my mount sets farther back over the receiver than the on yyou have, do not know what the manufacturer is.. Here it is with a Tasco 2.5-10x42, it now has an older, El Paso Weaver K4 mounted on it for normal use.Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:26 am

The Blond wood is makes this one the collectors go after.

I looks like someone added a Weaver base to the original mount on yours. And yours did away with the iron sites. I did not transfer the iron sights over to the new barrel. Saw no need, Can't see them anyway.
David

Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:44 am

Blue, I have no idea of the history of this gun, bought it used at my favorite smith/dealer used. I have always wanted one, got to be the sweetest and best looking auto on the market in my opinion, It was the best looking one in the rack including a couple of real Browning's and some other clone. At about half the cost of a real one, II believe I gave $260.00 and it had an old Weaver El Paso K2.5 on it. Not a collector, just wanted a shooter and it does that great, especially after I tightened the barrel nut to take the flex out of the gun. Have shot some really good groups with subsonic ammo.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:08 pm

My dad said he paid $50 for the ATD in 1964-65. He still has the original box and papers that came with the gun. I can't tell you how many rounds that had been down the pipe, 1000's. I know we use to go down by the river and shoot snakes sunning with him using our pellet rifles. Man that was a long time ago....
David

Custom Built 1911