Maybe it was better before I fixed it?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

KAZ wrote:EXCELLENT Groups 8) I'm sure that you've covered all the bases regarding Oldtimers FTF, but here goes: Assure that Firing pin protrusion 0.25-.035 -perhaps a new extra power(wolff) hammer spring- extractor slot perfectly lined up. I learned all this the hard way when I put an aftermarket barrel on mine. Regards
``
I think we have all the bases covered thanks to Dennis at Green Mountain Barrels. Th only round that had a FTF problem were Fiocchi #22CRN and CCI Blazer. Wolf MT Eley Sport and the Remington subs worked fine. Rem subs had a problem FTF also but it was good firing pin hits and an ammo problem. Cleaned the barrel per instruction s from Dennis and checked the ammo by holding the barrel vertical in a vise and dropping thee rounds in to check for space between the rim and the breech face. Fiocchi and Blazer would have .025 to .035 space between rim and breech and all the others dropped in flush. Called Dennis back and he said to send it back, he e mailed me a FedEx shipping tag to print out. Called FedEx and they will pick it up at my house today. Good company to do business with, really want to help a guy out. I would have just shot it with the ammo that worked, but curiosity got the best of me and I called for help. The FTF rounds would fire if you slingshot the bolt a couple of time to seat the case fully into the chamber.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:30 am

You are very good at defining a malfunction, narrowing it down and coming up with solutions. Most manufacturers customer service would have just told you to stop using the problem ammo. It speaks well of Green Mountain that they do care in the extreme about their barrels past the point of sale. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 am

KAZ wrote:You are very good at defining a malfunction, narrowing it down and coming up with solutions. Most manufacturers customer service would have just told you to stop using the problem ammo. It speaks well of Green Mountain that they do care in the extreme about their barrels past the point of sale. Regards
I was going to take that barrel and put it on another action and vice versa. To see if the problem stayed with the barrel or the receiver, but called instead and after his advice and checking it was not necessary to do the swap.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm

According to FedEx tracking the barrel got to GM yesterday, will see what happens, they sure were anxious to be of help.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:29 pm

FedEx picked up the barrel package at my house on the 4th in the afternoon, it got to Green Mountain on the 8th mid morning. They shipped it out today the 11th , I should have it in my hands on Monday the 15th out to the range for tests on the 16th, weather permitting.
Now that is what I call service from a company that wants to please their customers.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Barrel in my hands this afternoon, FedeEx does Saturday deliveries. In the gun now and ready to go, Monday about noon should know how it works. Now that is that I call taking care of the customer, Many Thanks to Dennis.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 am

One "happy" customer typically equals ten new customers as they tell others of their experience with the company. Seems like Green Mountain is adept at business too.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Well, my shooting bud e mailed me this morning and said he was going out at noon , so bear and I took the Oldtimer and met him at the range about1:00PM. Kind of cold and windy, low 40's makes the nose run factor shorten a shooting session . Shot about 20 rounds of the Fiocchi as it was the most FTF round and then about 20 Blazer and all worked well so we proceeded to somewhat zero the scope, close is good enough to check for grouping. Shot 2 groups of CCI Blazer and they were not bad, then shot 2 groups of Wolf MT and they were very good. Probably the best ten shot group I ever shot with this gun setup. They said the repaired a short chamber and who know what else to make it shoot this good, all I can say is, who cares what was done it shoots great. Got to thank Dennis at GM for the 1-1/2 week, door to door, now that is taking care of the customer. Image Image

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:11 pm

I can only get groups like those when I poke them with a No.2 pencil. looks like he is shooting wonderfully :thumbs up:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I can only get groups like those when I poke them with a No.2 pencil. looks like he is shooting wonderfully :thumbs up:
Yes, kind of think that they may have redone the barrel crown, can not see any sign of alteration but it sure shoots good now.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:53 am

Hey, it works great. Hard to get any better than that. Glad they got if fixed for you. :banana: