Remington 597?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Trigger is very important as you can move the gun slightly as the heavy trigger break and put the shot off target some. Not like I don't have a trigger pull gage, there is one in my tool box. Really don't care what it is now other than too damn heave. will measure it before I install the VQ hammer.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 pm

My bet is 8 pounds 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:08 pm

KAZ wrote:My bet is 8 pounds 8)
Well, you are close, as far as I can tell between 6-1/2 and 7. Only have a spring scale, no fancy digital that holds a reading, so that is as close as we can be. Bear says he will still gibe you the Golden Snooter award for your efforts. :D :D

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Got the VQ hammer in the mail this morning, took a minute or so to install int the trigger housing, Finding the hole in the hammer when you can not see it, takes some fiddling. Took the trigger pull down to 2-1/2 pounds, maybe tomorrow Bear and I can get to the range and try it out. Gun has been a good shooter other than the trigger, now it will be a better shooter yet.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Well the weather is chilly grey and windy but Bear and I have got to try out this trigger. Just got the target set and it started raining good thing the firing line is covered. Shot some 15 or so rounds of Blazer to warm the barrel and verify zero. We then shot four, 5 shot groups with Wolf MT with some sight adjustment as Wolf will shoot about 12 clicks lower than Blazer at 25 yards. Target posted is the best and last of the lot, although the others were not bad, one raggedy hole gut a little larger. Trigger feels all right, is on the heavy side of 2--1/2# and does not feel like my Ruger triggers, but the it is a Remington and will feel a little different. Image

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks pretty good.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:06 pm

greener wrote:Looks pretty good.
According to my on target program it measures less than .100

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Are you certain thats not just one shot :wink: That replacement trigger at 2lbs is a good deal to get down from 8 lbs. Is it crisp? Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:01 pm

KAZ wrote:Are you certain thats not just one shot :wink: That replacement trigger at 2lbs is a good deal to get down from 8 lbs. Is it crisp? Regards
Crisp and clean, but I still like my Ruger 10/22 triggers modded by my favorite gunsmith. Actually a misshaped .30 cal bullet?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 am

First off, in semiautos I'm a 10/22 fan, but I have to say that baom has a shooter 597 in WASP which is stock except for the VQ trigger which is a bargain that is impressive. Target groups keep getting smaller 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:09 am

KAZ wrote:First off, in semiautos I'm a 10/22 fan, but I have to say that baom has a shooter 597 in WASP which is stock except for the VQ trigger which is a bargain that is impressive. Target groups keep getting smaller 8)
After I get a few more rounds through it I expect to shoot groups smaller than the bullet diameter, maybe the hole will even grow closed? I actually prefer the 10/22's but thiis Remmie is a real shooter, as good as my 10/22's. Always wanted one of those race guns from Ruger but as they are just right handed, I can not use them. This gun is totally ambidextrous as it has a cheek pad and a palm swell on both sides.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Got to thinking this morning and that will usually get me started on something, will Wasp live up to the targets he shot the other day or was it just a fluke. Can he live up to his expectations and shoot on a par with Mr T, Pretty Boy and even the sporter barrel stock Markie/ Well the rain went away and the sun came out with very litttle win and about the high 60's. So we went to the range to try out Wasp and see what we could do with Sport, he still is not where I would like him to be as far as accuracy.
Shot 5 rounds of MT at a 1 inch shoot n'C just to clear the barrel and verify zero, then proceeded to shoot 4 more 5 shot groups in numerical order, I guess he will do just fine, got to get on of KAZ's 40X's to beat him. Image

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Again, Nice Shooting.

I don't see where you could improve, unless you need a more powerful scope. You may need to shoot out to 100+ yrds so you can start weeding them out. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Again, Nice Shooting.

I don't see where you could improve, unless you need a more powerful scope. You may need to shoot out to 100+ yrds so you can start weeding them out. :D
I will stay at 25 yards, 100 is just tto far for us old guys to carry the target boad.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:40 pm

KAZ wrote:First off, in semiautos I'm a 10/22 fan, but I have to say that baom has a shooter 597 in WASP which is stock except for the VQ trigger which is a bargain that is impressive. Target groups keep getting smaller 8)