Remington 597?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Just went down to the workroom to get the Wasp and take him to the range and made a startling discovery, the barrelled action was wobbly int he stock. Turns out the 2 screws that hold the receiver in the stock were evidently bottoming out before they were pulling the receiver tight to the stock. We altered a couple of washers as we did not have the proper size at the time and we are ready to head out and shoot. Here he is
Image[/img]
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

That Yellow Jacket is a nice looking gun. Looks like a tack driver too me. You could have ground off a couple of threads if the screws were too long.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:47 pm

blue68f100 wrote:That Yellow Jacket is a nice looking gun. Looks like a tack driver too me. You could have ground off a couple of threads if the screws were too long.
Right you are, but if you grind off a thread and that is most likely all it needed, in fact a 1/2 a turn would have been enough. Did not have a nut to run on first to chase the threads so a washer is much better, Worked many years and learned that lesson over 50 years ago.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Well that took care of the accuracy variations for sure. Although the targets shot the other day with Blazer did show promise they are not what I was after. With the action now tight in the stock things went muche better, CCI Blazer shot very well, Fed Gold Medal and Fiocchi #22CRN were dissapointing to say the least Wolf MT shot very well but to POI loow and right of POA. After a little tweaking we were able to ahoot these five shot groups at 25 yards. Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

WOW! Not only is WASP good looking, she can shoot! I love that Wolf MT. I understand that is the exact same as the SK Standard Plus that works so well in my guns. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:56 pm

KAZ wrote:WOW! Not only is WASP good looking, she can shoot! I love that Wolf MT. I understand that is the exact same as the SK Standard Plus that works so well in my guns. Regards
Watch your tongue young man, Wasp is a boy or man. Screws are probably a half turn long, when I get a nit to chase the threads I will shorten them, still want to try a pressure pad where the barrel is floated , but it may not be able to improve much.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Hey, those are great groups. Makes all the fun of a re-model seem even more fun. A friend recently put on a similar stock and didn't seem to think we were abusing him too much when we named it "The Hornet" for him.
Last weekend I was similarly pleasantly surprised. I was out to our range to just monitor the range for the day for the free sight in days (pre hunting season) for non-members. I took along a Remington 581 left hand bolt rifle (correct hand by the way) that I picked up about a year or so ago at a shop for $90.00.It was a Boy Scouts trade in and had not had great care for 30+ years.The bore looked OK, so since then I stripped off all the parts, rebuilt/repair it, refinished the stock, put a Redfield fixed 4x scope on it, and took it along to fill in the voids while babysitting the range. Anyway, I got one 10 shot group of 5/8 inch at 25 yards (that target is now on my wall), and all 10 shot targets (about 6-7 more) were under 1 in. over sandbags rest.The gun is capable of more than I am. Peters ammo
Also took my 10/22 stainless and walnut (pretty) with TruGlo holo sight along and it also did sub MOA 10 shot groups. "twas a good day. My old eyes can't focus on 3 things at once anymore- Hence the glass.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 pm

MH, the gun is not a remodel, it is a stock Remington 597 Yellow Jacket, made a few years ago and now discontinued. The reason I bought it is I always wanted a Ruger 10/22 race gun but they are RIIGHT handed and I need the other HAND. This gun is totally ambidextrous, has a cheek piece on both sides and the pistol grip has a palm swell on both sides,

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 pm

It's a good looking gun, and obviously shoots great too.
I'm nearly blind in my right eye, so shoot left handed. Lots of other stuff left hand too. With the vision problem of the right eye, I barely notice, if at all, the brass exiting to the right. The 10/22 is the only semi-auto long gun I own. The rest are LH bolts, levers or pumps, and SxS shotguns.
Did Bear lick the stock for good luck before you shot? :D

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:It's a good looking gun, and obviously shoots great too.
I'm nearly blind in my right eye, so shoot left handed. Lots of other stuff left hand too. With the vision problem of the right eye, I barely notice, if at all, the brass exiting to the right. The 10/22 is the only semi-auto long gun I own. The rest are LH bolts, levers or pumps, and SxS shotguns.
Did Bear lick the stock for good luck before you shot? :D
No, but he did snooter it a little. About ten years back I had some retina damage to the center of my right eye due to leaky blood vessels in the retina. I became left eye dominant and had to teach myself to handle a gun left handed, took a year or so before I became totally adept at it. Got lots of Rugers and other RH ejectors and they do not bother me the least.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Shoots pretty good. Your are prettier than mine. I wonder if I'll ever catch up.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:17 am

re: greener
On any given day, age and experience will outshine youth and exuberance. Almost every time. :D :yakillme: :mrgreen: :rothfl: :crazy eyes:

greener

Post by greener » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:18 am

Medicine Hat wrote:re: greener
On any given day, age and experience will outshine youth and exuberance. Almost every time. :D :yakillme: :mrgreen: :rothfl: :crazy eyes:
I know. But I should get some credit for being a disciple of Master BAOM. :lol:

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:23 am

OK, sorry about the gender mix up. HE shoots as good as he looks :wink:
No worries greener, we are already listed as usual suspects. Any bets as to how long it takes for a swarm of Yellow Jackets to show up around here 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:46 am

But remember another thing, the combination of youth and stupidity have great powers, but the can not usually be controlled as intended.