BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:29 pm

I do envy the relationship that you enjoy with that shop. They know from dealing with you over the years that if you despite your best efforts can't get one to shoot then there is a problem with the rifle. Savage has gone to a lot of effort with the MKII "E" receiver TR series rifles. They have Boyd supplying the A5 style stock, and combined with the accu trigger let's hope that they have a winner. At $400 they are right up against CZ, and I would prefer to buy American if possible. Regards Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm

KAZ wrote:I do envy the relationship that you enjoy with that shop. They know from dealing with you over the years that if you despite your best efforts can't get one to shoot then there is a problem with the rifle. Savage has gone to a lot of effort with the MKII "E" receiver TR series rifles. They have Boyd supplying the A5 style stock, and combined with the accu trigger let's hope that they have a winner. At $400 they are right up against CZ, and I would prefer to buy American if possible. Regards Regards
Remember once when I bought my Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump, before Dougie, handed it over to me he said , Go get a cup coffee while I fix the trigger, I now you too well. Actually the owner and I re near the same age hi is 3 years younger. He was working at a local shop and getting in the trade when he was 18 and I was 21. Man that was a lot of years ago.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:09 am

Well on to another round in the Markie vs oldman bout. Markie is on his way to his home, so yesterday we went out and did some shooting with my other bolt gun that has been sitting in the corner for years. It is definitely pre WWII and may be older than me, my uncle gave it to me when I was in high school/ It is Westernfield,Mossberg 46B?, mag fed right hand bolt gun and in my youth when I was right eye dominant I had altered the stock a bit. Comb cheek piece is right handed but does not interfere with left handed use. A while back I bought a Havlin aluminum extruded scope mount to bolt to the left side of the receiver to the 2 factory tapped holes. The mount still needs to be tweaked a bit used up all of the left hand adjustment and the gun still shoots a little right. Judicious use of a hammer can correct this problem, will find out in a day or two. But the groups shot yesterday were better than Markie had ever thought of even though they were off POA.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Getting ready for the next round. Called Savage this morning and they have turned Markie around and he is on his way back home. He was out of the factory ion the 1st and shipped on the 3rd, 2 day UPS ground should put him in town tomorrow. We shall see what they did. Young lady said they polished the chamber to reduce the extraction problem and accuracy tested it, we shall see? Possibly the chamber was causing a problem.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Well, that is pretty good turn a round service from Savage. Now we will see how it shoots. Interesting to see if they include a test target of their results. Regards

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, that is pretty good turn a round service from Savage. Now we will see how it shoots. Interesting to see if they include a test target of their results. Regards
They are reading this site and no with whom they should not mess. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, Markie did not show up today for one reason or another. Possible he was not sent out Monday, if he had, he should have been her in 2 days or 3 at the most. Now, not saying anything bad about Savage, but I did stop at the shop on the way home from the range and they were very busy and short handed on top of that. Saw a pile of boxes, that may have been their shipment received for the day and they may not have had a chance to get to them. Will let it ride, got other guns to shoot anyway.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Called Savage this afternoon to check if it was sent out on Monday and they said it was. Eric did the UPS tracking and ssaid for some reason it took until this morning to get here, it was received at 9:58AM.
They checked it out and said ream a tight chamber and sent a test target of 3 shots at 100 yard 1.100 inches group was strung pretty much vertical.Image

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 am

Well. we got Markie all scoped up and boresighted and ready to head to the range too see how things work out. We got some Federal Gold Medal, Savage's test ammo and some other ammo to try. Wolf MT works great in all of my other guns, it should work in Markie also. CCI Blazer shoots adequately in most guns but the MT is just better.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:44 am

Sounds like Savage came through in good time. I'll be looking forward to seeing the new targets. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:01 am

KAZ wrote:Sounds like Savage came through in good time. I'll be looking forward to seeing the new targets. Regards
Right you are, 2 weeks from shop to factory and back to shop. Now hope it works as good as the service,

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, about noon, Bear and I put Markie and the Wasp in the range bag an Bear had me drive it to the range for a little test shooting. Markie seems to be fixed, they said ream a tight chamber, seems as they may have done more. Not sure but the crown seemed to look different. Shot some CCI Blazer, one of my favorite decent shooting low buck bullets, some Federal Gold Medal, Savage test ammo and of course some Wolf MT which usually is the best we have. Looks as if the accuracy will meet Savage standards and may even meet mine. Th Fed Gold was iffy at best, the Blazer shot well and of course the Wolf did the best.
Image Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Markie is now a shooter! I can't help but think what would have happed if it had been purchased by a new inexperienced owner instead of someone who after you tried all your bag of tricks knew that something was wrong right from the factory, and sent it back to them to get sorted out. Great news and good on Savage. Regards

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:54 pm

now Markie's shooting like she should, not bad for a low buck 22 rifle... mine likes some of the bulk stuff more than the match stuff so far, you might try the fed champion, as a low $ alternative.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:02 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:now Markie's shooting like she should, not bad for a low buck 22 rifle... mine likes some of the bulk stuff more than the match stuff so far, you might try the fed champion, as a low $ alternative.
Blazer works pretty well for the average shootin and Morkie is a BOY, sorry.