BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Post by KAZ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 pm

This duel between a Savage MKII and baom is getting interesting. It was producing acceptable groups according to Savage, but not up to those of baom. I wanted to start this thread so that we can more easily follow progress as things are tried to shrink group size. I'm certain that as bedding tricks,etc are applied results will be obtained. Where are we now?
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 pm

KAZ wrote:This duel between a Savage MKII and baom is getting interesting. It was producing acceptable groups according to Savage, but not up to those of baom. I wanted to start this thread so that we can more easily follow progress as things are tried to shrink group size. I'm certain that as bedding tricks,etc are applied results will be obtained. Where are we now?
If I can get Markie on the ropes he is going down for the count. Or maybe thAT IS ALL HE IS CAPABLE OFF? SURE WOULD LIKE TO GET HIM SHOOTING LIKE MY STOCK 10/22 t.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Federal bulk 36gr hp champion, 25 yrds with my mk2g w/o pressure pad
with cleaning patch pressure pad 1/2 way up stock

I'll stick to the factory free float job......

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:44 am

I don't think you'd get any better groups with good target ammo at 25 yards, bgreene. You have a barrel that loves the cheap stuff.

BAOM, how does Markie's trigger compare to the Ruger?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 am

bgreene, that MKII does love that Fed Champion, and wants its barrel free floated with no pad. Good info/testing. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

greener wrote:I don't think you'd get any better groups with good target ammo at 25 yards, bgreene. You have a barrel that loves the cheap stuff.

BAOM, how does Markie's trigger compare to the Ruger?
The Accutrigger is not bad, but I do prfer the triggers on my 10/22's with a Lyle trigger job.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 am

KAZ wrote:bgreene, that MKII does love that Fed Champion, and wants its barrel free floated with no pad. Good info/testing. Regards
Savage uses the Gold Medal 40 grain solids as their standard ammo, maybe it just likes all Federal ammo. Have had some fairly good results with CCI SV another 40 grain solid at about the same velocity. And after all the screwing around I did, I think the barrel wants to be floated. My next range trip is to shoot the gun stock with Gold Medal And some other different 40 grain ammo to get a baseline for accuracy and then try a pressure pad. I believe the pad that may work will most likely be just behind the forend. Just my theories, may hav to buy that left hand thumbhole bull stailnless barrel Masrk II just for test purposes.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am

I'll bet that you get Markie to shoot once you test your way to what works, but if you do buy a new left hand stainless make sure that you get the new Savage "E" receiver while you are at it. Seems they have done a new design on the MKII receiver. The new MKII is D&T for scope mounts(no grooves), uses two pins to secure the barrel, and a few other changes. The good news is the new & old MKII designs use the same mags.Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:35 am

KAZ wrote:I'll bet that you get Markie to shoot once you test your way to what works, but if you do buy a new left hand stainless make sure that you get the new Savage "E" receiver while you are at it.
Don't bet the house on that on or you may end up living with the real KAZ in the back yard. Tried some test shooting yesterday and I believe the potential of the firearm has been reached, meets Savage specs but certainly does not nee mine. Have a stock sporter barrel Ruger DSP and a Henry H001, that will out shoot it easily. Was thinking of a Bull barrel left had Savage but not sure if I want another Savage, even the bull barrels still have the same chamber as the sporter barrels.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Perhaps you can get your Pal at the local shop to look(bore scope) at your barrel to see if it is visibly rough. That would cause problems, and it is not unheard of for a bad one to get out. If, a Smith discovered a problem I'll bet Savage would replace the barrel. You have checked everything else. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 am

Going to go out tomorrow and shoot a test target to send to the factory with the gun, and see what they have to say. Will use 3 different ammo samples and see what happens.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 am

Well, I'll be interested in the results. I hope that it shoots a decent group, so that you don't have the hassle to send it back. Perhaps if push comes to shove and you have to send it in Savage will replace it with the same gun in their new "E" receiver 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:41 am

KAZ wrote:Well, I'll be interested in the results. I hope that it shoots a decent group, so that you don't have the hassle to send it back. Perhaps if push comes to shove and you have to send it in Savage will replace it with the same gun in their new "E" receiver 8)
Talked to one of the guys at my local shop yesterday afternoon, the do not have a bore scope. He said experience with Savage is if it will go under 2 inch at 100 yards they will just send it back. Don't really want to go with all the hassle of shipping a 200 dollar gun. Most likely just trade it in something else. Lefty CZ452 sound good to me. Going to put the guns and Bear in the car and head for the range shortly.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 am

Under 2" at 100 yards would be very good, and no one would have a problem. Will it do that? What I saw was trouble even at 50 yds. Regards

bearandoldman

Markie has got me on the ropes

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 pm

I think I am going down for the count, maybe I should tell my manager to throw in the towel and the bucket and sponge and maybe the stool also.
Actually according to Eric in Savage custom service the sporter barrel should do 1-1/2 or betert for 3 shots at 100 yards and the bull barrel guns should do under 1 inch for a 5 shot group at 100 yards. This I could live wit has it equates to 3/5 and 1/4 at 25 yards, all of my7 10/22's will do this or better/ Gun is very erratic and ab out the time you think it will shoot well it throws on out an inch or better. May have to send it back to Savage or trade it off or just sell it so I do not have to own it anymore. Will talk to my local shop tomorrow