Savage MKII question

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 pm

next theory. inconsistant ammo. weigh and measure the rim thickness and sort your bullets. it'll take a variable out and it only costs you time, I read somewhere someone tested this and got better grouping

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I bllame voodoo for all my fliers........ you might try to single load it instead of loading from the mag, it may be the nose is getting dinged on the way from the mag to the chamber and after 1-2 rounds the spring tension in the mag is less so it loads smoother.......just a theory
Never thought of that, evem between mag shanges it happened and tthen stabilized. Will try loading 5 rounds and see if that hrlps if the problem shows up again. Omly had one session where it did that and not sure how my configuration was at the time, got to keep better records. But it did happen almoost evry ,ag and did not matter what aomm I was using.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:23 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:next theory. inconsistant ammo. weigh and measure the rim thickness and sort your bullets. it'll take a variable out and it only costs you time, I read somewhere someone tested this and got better grouping
Not my cup of tea, woui;d take the fun out of shooting and make it too much like working.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 pm

I know a guy who weighs ammo for shooting and does seem to get better consistency shooting weights. I wouldn't think that would be as important with the higher priced ammo, since what you are paying for is better QC and consistency.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Shot this target the otherr day, this is with the stock mounting but a pressure pad at the forend.
Not bad at 25 yards but my 10/22's, even tge stock ones can do better.
My buddy who weighs bullets has a Savage with the standard trigger. He has done some trigger fiddling hand has a fairly light trigger. He shoots off a Caldwell-type sandbag rest. His groups are the same as, or better, at 50 yards than these, if I recall correctly.

Yours doesn't like the ammo you are using????

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Still have some other ideas onthe setup, still not satisfied the way it ahoots. It will not extract fired cases of Wolf MT, they jam in rthe chamber and require a cleaning ro from the muzzzle to knock them out, 5 for 5 and then I gave up on that ammo. Have shot it before though so will give the chamber a good cleaninig and try another idea, Pretty soo if it don't shoot well it will be one of the guns I used to own.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote: Pretty soo if it don't shoot well it will be one of the guns I used to own.
Sounds like a plan!

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Cleaned the chamber good and added a pressure pad the full length of the barrel channel from the dovetailed post on the barrel to the for-end. Still will not shoot as I think it should and after a few rounds the Wolf MT will not extract, just stick in the barrel until you either get a blade under the rim or use a cleaning rod to get it out. When it does shoot he Wolf it seems to shoot it well but the cases all stick in the chamber. I have one more idea that I may try tomorrow and then Tuesday will call savage and get their opinion, after that Ir may be looking for a home in another area.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:00 am

I think I would give up on Wolf Mtn and stick with Auto Match. If I had money on the line and knew some ammo was necessary to beat the odds and win the match, that is one thing. But punching holes at 25 yd.s AutoMatch does a fine job at that exercise. JMO, you understand. TB :roll:
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:24 am

Tigerbeetle wrote:I think I would give up on Wolf Mtn and stick with Auto Match. If I had money on the line and knew some ammo was necessary to beat the odds and win the match, that is one thing. But punching holes at 25 yd.s AutoMatch does a fine job at that exercise. JMO, you understand. TB :roll:
Maybe I am expecting too much from the MarkII, it is only a 200 dollar gun. But it should feed, shoot and extract any ammo as far as I am concerned. Nost of my 10/22s shhot CCI Blazer almost as well as Wolf MT or SK Std+. Have not had the accuracy I think IU should have with Automatch in the Savage but it does well in the 10/22's, but just bhind Blazer and Wolf. Got one more idea to try toaday, pressure pad just ahead of the boss on the barrel and then stock for a target to send to Savage. See what they have to say and then maybe good bye Markie?? Her are the 2 at 25 yards form my stock 10/22T. Wolf cost is 150% higher but it does not come out to be 150% more accurate.
Image Image

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 pm

The best laid plans of mice and men oft times go astray, how true, how true!. Tried the full length pad the other day and it did not help at all, tried a pad just ahead of the dovetailed boss on the barrel and it did no good either. Tonight I will clean the chamber and barrel to make sure nothing is leaded or dirty and change to another scope just to take the variables out of play. Will then reassemble the action into the stock as it was when it came from the factory and give things another try tomorrow. Talked to a nice young lady at Savage today and asked her what accuracy I could expect from the gun and she advised 2 inches at 100 yard, which equates to a 1/2 centers group at 25 yards, if it did that it would be all right. She advised ti get a copy of the sales slip and send the gun back to the factory. Or trade it in on a MarkIIBTVLSS, a bull stainless barrel in a thumb hole stock, wonder what the accuracy of that is supposed to be?

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:27 pm

The groups aren't bad, but they aren't quite as good as bgreenea3 got with his MKIIG at 50 yards. What you are getting may be all you can get with that particular barrel. Sending it back to savage sounds like an idea. Another is to put that target with the rifle and see who might buy it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm

greener wrote:The groups aren't bad, but they aren't quite as good as bgreenea3 got with his MKIIG at 50 yards. What you are getting may be all you can get with that particular barrel. Sending it back to savage sounds like an idea. Another is to put that target with the rifle and see who might buy it.
The targets in the earlier post were not shot with the Savage but with my stock 10/22T, if they were from the MarkII I would be satisfied.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 pm

There is a cat over on RFC that put a cardboard shim right at the end of his MKII barrel and it gave him good groups. This was after he "free floated" his barrel, and could not get it to group. Worth a try, I don't even try to shoot my 10/22 without a chunk of rubber at the end. :wink: This does all sound like bedding problems. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 pm

KAZ wrote:There is a cat over on RFC that put a cardboard shim right at the end of his MKII barrel and it gave him good groups. This was after he "free floated" his barrel, and could not get it to group. Worth a try, I don't even try to shoot my 10/22 without a chunk of rubber at the end. :wink: This does all sound like bedding problems. Regards
Been using a couple of layers of foam tool ox liner that I had left ver when I relined my tool box drawers many years ago before I dicovered retirement was more fun. Nothing seems to work onthia gun at the timem juat got done cleaning and inspecting, swapping scopes and setting up totally stock and will try to shoot it tomorrow, Loooking for 1/2 centers or under as Savage said it should do.