new 10/22 stainless target

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DuPont Spinner

new 10/22 stainless target

Post by DuPont Spinner » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Howdy everyone. My daughter-in-law just recieved an almost new 10/22 with the laminate stock and stainless heavy barrell. Although she's happy with it for now, I'm sure she'll want to tweak it to some degree. She and her husband are on a real tight budget. That being the case, what would you recommend for minor modifications to enhance the performance of the rifle? She mainly shoots recreational bench rest at 50 yards. Also, the rifle is equipped with Bushnell 4X12X40 scope. I know there are a ga-zillion aftermarket parts available, but having no expirience with the 10/22, I thought I'd seek some advice here.

When I shot the rifle yesterday, it seemed like the trigger had some creep and the pull could be lightened up some. Other than that, what are your thoughts?

Ken
Wipe off the blood and get back in the game

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: new 10/22 stainless target

Post by John fox » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:13 pm

I put in a Volquortzen hammer in several years ago and found my trigger pull reduced from 6 1/2 pounds to 2 1/2 pounds. Turned the rifle into a real shooter.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: new 10/22 stainless target

Post by toyfj40 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:54 pm

DuPont Spinner wrote:what are your thoughts?
get a 'Bolt Buffer' to replace the steel-factory one,
if this has not already been done.

The "Best Advice" would be to avoid browsing RimFireCentral.com forums,
you can spend a few mortgage-payments for 10/22 upgrades after
listening to their suggestions. :lol:

and don't get her a copy of James House new book
"Customize the Ruger 10/22"

Old Sailor

Ruger 10/22 "T"

Post by Old Sailor » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:44 pm

Check out
www.rimfirecentral.com
you will find anything and everything there for that rifle that you can imagine.
Woody
Smile, it makes folks wonder what you are up to

machinist

Post by machinist » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:36 am

The 10/22T can shoot fairly well out of the box after they got a few hundred rounds down the barrel...... Finding what ammo it likes is the key. There is a good chance its going to be some kind of target ammo.
Try some SK/Wolf target ammo. If you look around you can find this ammo for $25 - 26 dollars a brick. If it has some cycling problems with standard velocity target ammo send the bolt to Randy at CPC to have him work it over. The reworked bolt from CPC also decreases head space to.0425 and has a dowel pin over the top of the firing pin both these mods will decrease flyers. http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC ... oltRework/

MGB

Cheap mods for the 10/22

Post by MGB » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

There are several that I like to do. The very first is installing a yellow jacket bolt buffer. I bought mine on ebay, now I think it is around $12 for two. These were the first ones that have stood up to the number of rounds I put through it over a year (+/- 10k) Next I install an automatic bolt release. Getting the hold open to release without this was always a real PIA. With it you just pull back on the bolt and the hold open drops out of the way and releases the bolt. I bought one for about $10 now I just modify them it is easy with a dremel. Next is an extended mag release button. There are two types of these and depending on what type of magazines you use determines which one to use. One sticks down, one is like a rounded bump. If you use Eagle mags you can't use the rounded one. Either one is about $3 in plastic. Those items will make a big difference. I also do the trigger modification, but again I mod the hammer myself, otherwise the cost is around $35. There is one other thing I have tried with mixed results, that is a compensator that clamps to the bull barrel. I don't know how much if any it really helps, but it was about $29. For a smoother action I use a bit of lithium grease on the inside of the receiver and on the bottom of the bolt. It doesn't take a lot and seems to make it easier to clean.

On the more expensive side I really like my Barracuda stock $150, and Leupold Vari x - II / 4-12x40 AO $399.

That is the one drawback with these 10/22's, it is way too easy to spend $$'s on them.

my 2 cents :lol:

Blindpig

Re: Cheap mods for the 10/22

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:43 am

MGB wrote:That is the one drawback with these 10/22's, it is way too easy to spend $$'s on them.
Aw come on, MGB. You know you love pouring your hard- earned cash into that money pit! I know my wife tells me I do!
By the way, I've owned a couple of those back in the day; MGB's that is.