Upgrade sights for my Henry lever carbine? (H001L)

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Upgrade sights for my Henry lever carbine? (H001L)

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I've been extremely pleased with the aperture sights on my M1 carbine, and the tech-sights I added to my Ruger 10/22s (getting geared up for an Appleseed)

Is there a similar product to add on to my Henry? I keep leaving it behind on range trips because I never did like that rear sight. (And it looks silly with a red-dot slapped on top)

As always, gunsmith's skills are at a minimum and tools are limited, so a drop-in or bolt-on would be preferred.

And to drag this off-topic at the start, is there an equivalent to aperture sights for handguns, or do I just need a red-dot for target handguns?

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon May 03, 2010 6:05 pm

I have a brass peep rear that I bought for my .45 LC Henry that I never put on. It fits into the rear sight dovetail on the barrel.

I'd part with it real cheap. IIRC, I paid $45 for it, I'd let it go for $20 plus shipping.

Reason I'm not going to put it on is that I decided I'd rather go with a tang mount to get the aperture closer to my tired old eyes.

An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I will keep that in mind, Downeaster, thanks for the offer.

Ideally I'd want something that mounts to the rear of the installed rail, replacing the rear sight directly would be only a partial fix, probably the same as you decided.

How difficult was that tang mount to install?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Bigfatdave, search in rimfire rifles about a year or so ago, I did the whole thing front and rear and it worked out fine, but use a scope most of the time.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm

bigfatdave wrote:I will keep that in mind, Downeaster, thanks for the offer.

Ideally I'd want something that mounts to the rear of the installed rail, replacing the rear sight directly would be only a partial fix, probably the same as you decided.

How difficult was that tang mount to install?
Couldn't say, haven't done it yet. :lol:

You have to drill and thread one hole, shouldn't be too tough. It's a Marbles unit, runs about $130. The price and the fear of messing up my gun has me procrastinating...

They also makes a Williams type, but that requires drilling and tapping the receiver cover.

On my .22 and .22Mag, I just went the red dot route. Works really well and while it's decidedly non-traditional, I don't find it objectionable.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon May 03, 2010 10:51 pm

B&OM is the one you used the Williams "WGRS 54"?

Product image:
Image of one mounted on a Henry I found:

I dug through your posts that included the word "henry" (two pages!) and pictures were either not working for me or expired ... but I did find a reference to that sight.

If it is that one, how much fitting was needed and how does it match up with the stock front sight?

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue May 04, 2010 6:27 am

Ooooooooooooh, I hadn't seen that Williams before. That's NICE.

Hmmmmm....

Too bad it won't work on my Big Boy, but I just might retrofit one of my Red Dots back to a peep.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue May 04, 2010 1:43 pm

The big boys don't have a scope rail built in?

That's sort of silly, it is easy to put on for Henry, doesn't look out of place without a scope, and half of the hunters out there would want one.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 pm

bigfatdave wrote:The big boys don't have a scope rail built in?

That's sort of silly, it is easy to put on for Henry, doesn't look out of place without a scope, and half of the hunters out there would want one.
Nope. Not even drilled/tapped/plugged.

I don't think a rimfire-type dovetail would work anyway, recoil would flop a scope all over the place. A Weaver-style base would be neat tho.

I bought the .45LC for brush-country deer hunting (that's my story...) and I don't believe I'd put optics on it anyway. A Williams peep that mounted to a Weaver base would be cool tho. I'm sure they have 'em.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Wed May 05, 2010 9:49 pm

The old browning t bolt peep sights will fit your grooved receiver and used to be common sights to put on other 22's:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vb ... d&id=25047
Not my ad, just a good pic. That was a good price though, new in box they go for about $80 when they can be found and used ones, in good condition, go for about $60ish. Ebay, Gary Fellers, or Phillip Stewart are usually reasonable on them.
For a weaver base type peep sights the NECG sight is a good one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=111883
Of course then you'll most likely have to change the height of your front sight
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1318 ... Calculator
Personally I don't care for the williams sight, same sight base design as the mkiii firesights, comming loose after locktight and the set screw makes a dimple in the aluminum, need to change adjustment? Tear sight apart and file dimples...

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for all the info/ideas!

How much hassle would it be to change height on the Henry's front sight? It is currently stock with zero modifications, if that matters.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 pm

The front sight assembly on your rifle would have to be machined for a dovetail to accept a "standard" front sight.
Or you could "add" a small diameter rod, like 3/32" brass or a light pipe to the top of your front sight. Add = epoxy?
The height will not have to be changed by much. That being said I posted the link to the wrong calculator, the difference is accurately measuring from the center line of the bore to the top of the rear sight, kind of tough when using a receiver mounted rear sight. So you'll want to use this one instead:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1309 ... Calculator
Just as a side note, if your Henry has a plastic front sight assembly, they have started to make them from steel on current production rifles. The steel assembly can be had from Henry for about $25.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri May 07, 2010 12:02 am

I'm not seeing that on Henry's website, I may have to call them and ask for a second front sight / barrel-band assembly.

Then the question is, which do I tinker with? The older plastic or the newer/nicer steel?

I suppose I don't have the right tools for working the steel version ... I'm trying to avoid the cost of a real gunsmith on one hand, and avoid becoming "Dremel Dave" on the other.
(we all know "Dremel Dave", he's at every gunshow selling off a "custom" gun at an apparently great price, because he's borked it to the point of being a little scared of it)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 am

Dave, if you are going to go with the Williams receiver sight, shorty ramp and firesight, then just alter the plastice one. All it does is support tje front of the mag tube. Did mine a couple years ago and have had no problems. I boubt if it is steel, most likely some kinf of die casting.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

I agree with Bearandoldman, modify the plastic one. I would just call Henry and get the "steel" one to have in case you decided the mod wasn't for you... I'm a steel and wood guy myself, rather something that will pass as steel anyway. :)

Look at this thread from RFC, the pics may help.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=336409

I should mention to, that Browning sight I mentioned, it's not all steel construction. The main body is some sort of plastic/composite or what ever it was called in the late 50's early 60's. They are quite rugged though, with good; solid adjustments. I've seen chipped ones, but never a broken one... They'll also fit most anything with a 3/8 or 11mm dovetail.

Look at it this way, if you end up with more parts than you'll use on your Henry, I'm sure somewhere you can find a real nice piece of shooting iron to put them on. :D That excuse has worked more than once for me.