Upgrade sights for my Henry lever carbine? (H001L)

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed May 12, 2010 4:50 pm

That picture of the Williams peep that mounts to a standard rimfire dovetail got me all fierced up and I bought one to put on that beater Glenfield I bought for a barn rifle.

Mounted up slick as a smelt, but now my front sight is WAY too low. According to Brownell's sight height calculator (thanks for that link, btw...) I need a .675 front sight. Looked around a little, didn't see anything.

Don't want to spend much money (price of rear peep dang near doubled my investment in the gun...) and didn't see anything at Brownells that would work.

Ideas on cheap mods to a dovetail front sight? Current sight is about .325, as I said I need to get to about .675
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 pm

OK, so here's a trick I've used for truely home made fire type sights.. Don't crucify me :)
String trimmer line, you can get the kind that is made just like the light pipes you can buy and go to about a .120" diameter and also comes in diamond and square, some even bigger for the "4 string walk behind weed eater." Shape as desired and you only have to polish the ends to make it "glow." To much light showing, then a small touch of black paint.. Best part is since you need less than an 1" most lawn and garden shops have it by the 500' roll so they'll just cut off a small piece for you....
On top of the factory Henry plastic sight, epoxy should hold well.
Sounds like a shade tree job, but if you take your time to shape and don't glob epoxy on, it actually looks some what decent.

azkmd

Post by azkmd » Thu May 13, 2010 7:01 am

Since you are working with a dovetail on your Glenfield:

http://skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

Basic front sight is $18, says he'll make it to any height at no extra charge.
Last edited by azkmd on Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

the front sight is the hang-up on mine, and I think I'll end up ~doubling my investment as well.

The Henry will make the next range trip, and I'll have to get one of those steel sights before I start violating the old plastic one.