Suggestions and Ideas Solicited

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Suggestions and Ideas Solicited

Post by Downeaster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 am

I got another fox raiding my hen house. He took 5 hens last week while I was in Norfolk for school.

I've got my K22 strapped to my hip, but I take Henry the MAGnificent with me everywhere I go around the ranch on the off chance he/she might get brave and give me an opportunity to supplement it's Vitamin Pb deficiency.

Problem is, I don't want to just lay Henry down wherever I happen to need to do some work (I'm not just walking around on Chicken Sentry duty, I'm doing my normal chores) so I'm looking for something that will protect the rifle without restricting access.

My first thought is some sort of ATV scabbard, but I'm thinking there may be a better idea out there that is eluding me.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm

I am not sure if you are on foot, riding an ATV or a pickup. Or all three :shock: But, for the ATV or the pickup, a saddle scabbard might be adoptable to the ATV or for hanging on the back of the truck seat. If you are hoofing it, how about something like a Biathlon over the back harness, or just a nice sling that will slip on to the stock and the forearm without having to install sling studs and swivels. I just don't really care for slings on a .22, except of course on target rifles for 3 or 4 position shooting. :lol:
One thing for sure, Downeaster, that fox has got to go. Those Biathlon over the back rigs really intrigue me. Be kind of in the way cruising timber, but it sure looks slick for keeping both hands free while carrying the rifle. :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:19 pm

pistol or revolver, in a holster on a belt.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Trap the fox? (I don't know about legal / humane issues there, and I don't know about live trap and release except that I think foxes are nice wildlife when not molesting your domestic critters)

Higher-power pistol in holster? (practical for more than just foxes)

Load-bearing vest with long-gun scabbard over the shoulder (bonus, you're ready for an apocalyptic movie)

Better chicken protection? (I know it is hard, we lost chickens and turkeys to coyotes [theoretically, never saw a damn one though] when I lived in rural PA)

Poison chicken left outside? (seems shady and risky to your own dogs or whatever)

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Trap the fox? (I don't know about legal / humane issues there, and I don't know about live trap and release except that I think foxes are nice wildlife when not molesting your domestic critters)

Tried that, fox is too wily, I'm too stoopid...Lately, we are up to our butt in foxes around here. Dunno why the population explosion, but everyone is talking about it.

Higher-power pistol in holster? (practical for more than just foxes)

I carry a .22 mag (Single Six) which is plenty for varmints around here, but I like to keep a rifle handy when I'm "expecting" a shot. Also a .22 mag

Load-bearing vest with long-gun scabbard over the shoulder (bonus, you're ready for an apocalyptic movie)

That's a thought, but I'm leaning more toward something I can hang on the fence or strap to the tractor or ATV as appropriate, depending on what I'm doing.

Better chicken protection? (I know it is hard, we lost chickens and turkeys to coyotes [theoretically, never saw a damn one though] when I lived in rural PA)

May have to go there. I usually let them free-range, but a fenced yard may be the only long-term answer.

Poison chicken left outside? (seems shady and risky to your own dogs or whatever)

I'm thinking about that too. Had to get rid of my dog, my wife developed an allergy to dog hair, so that won't be an issue. Given the amount of time I'd have to spend and/or the dumb luck to catch him in the open, poison seems like a viable answer. Just need to look into it a little further.
[/b]

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Forgot to mention, I used my current dilemma as an excuse to buy another .22

Picked up a Glenfield 25 at a pawn shop for $85, I'll just load it up and keep it in the barn.

That's my story.... :shock: