pillar bedding?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

pillar bedding?

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:44 am

Crude but effective method that I have used on 3 different 10/22's of mine recently. Firsdt time I shoy yjt "T" since it was done. Took a 1/4 fender washer and round to fit in the cavity and a few layers of foam tool box liner. The 2 left hand targets on the sheet were shot with WW Fed bulk ammo, the right with CCI Blazer. The WW stuff amazed me, shot a group to warm the barrel at a target spot on another sheet and the had to shoot two mor e to believe it, then shot these targets. Eley Sport shoots well also.
Image Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 am

Hmmm, adding the washer raised the action just a smidge? Why the tape/foam.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:12 am

Tbag wrote:Hmmm, adding the washer raised the action just a smidge? Why the tape/foam.
You know, I really have no idea but it seems to work. My DSP and T have the pad as shown, my 4 digit carbine has it at the forend as in the old carbines with the Overton stock the barrel channel is relieved from the receiver to about 2 inches from the forend. Msybe it damps the vibrations and oscillations of the barrel? All I know is they all shoot better since I did it. All the guns are stock other than a trigger job by my local gunsmith. I have one more newer birch stocked carbine that I will try one of these days.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 am

The foam keeps the receiver snug and dampens the barrel's harmonics slightly. That way the shock is not directly transferred to the lug making it last longer.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:28 am

Bullseye wrote:The foam keeps the receiver snug and dampens the barrel's harmonics slightly. That way the shock is not directly transferred to the lug making it last longer.

R,
Bullseye
Sounds reasonable to me and besides that it WORKS. :D

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:37 am

baom, those are terrible targets! The center is all gone 8) The bad news is that I don't know how you can improve on that! Bullseye is correct, that foam has "tuned" the barrel. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 am

KAZ wrote:baom, those are terrible targets! The center is all gone 8) The bad news is that I don't know how you can improve on that! Bullseye is correct, that foam has "tuned" the barrel. Regards
I just bought a heavier weight of paper to print my targets on. Maybe it will be tough enough so that the center will not fall out so easily. Wish ther was a video from in front of the firing line to see my face when shooting those targets with the WallyWorl Federal bulk. Shot about 3 groups before this target on some e round stickers and they were all pretty much the same. Actually I started to shoot just a mag full of 100 rounds to get the barrel warmed before shooting the good stuff.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm

See, I know you well enough that you just love to get your hands on a rifle that won't shoot so you can force it to group. Thats why you target shoot with that "bulk" ammo. Makes me question why I'm shooting that $11/box Eley when it appears to be unnecessary 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:10 pm

KAZ wrote:See, I know you well enough that you just love to get your hands on a rifle that won't shoot so you can force it to group. That's why you target shoot with that "bulk" ammo. Makes me question why I'm shooting that $11/box Eley when it appears to be unnecessary 8)
This is the first gun that has shot the Fed bulk so well. The DSP' Sport", shoots Blazer very well Th Target gun "Mr T" shoots the Fed and the CCI blazer well. My 4 digit carbine "Oldtimer" shoots the Eley Sport very good. Still have to try the washer trick on one more gun, the standard 10/22 carbine, If I decide to keep it, got more 10/22's than I really need. The MqarkIIGL Savage "Markie" shoots the Blazer well also an has a pressure pad of foam near the forend. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing but some things do work out for the best.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:57 pm

No doubt we can by luck of the draw get a box of anything that is perfect with the primer,case,bullet,powder coming together, and shoots really well so we go and buy a boat load and we then get some from the new lot that barely makes it out of the barrel. I shoot the same mix of ammo that you do except when I'm in a match where a flyer will take me out of the hunt. Then I'm willing to pay the price for consistency. Your engineering background/training pay off in removing the equipment variables to produce those tiny groups. Regards

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Pretty fair shooting, oldman. Nice thing about the el-cheapo bulk ammo is when you get groups like that you have something to brag about, when you don't you can always say "well, I was shooting cheap bulk ammo." That's my excuse.

PS. I wandered through Wally World yesterday. The Federal bulk was up to $19/box. Tain't so cheap any more.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 pm

greener wrote:Pretty fair shooting, oldman. Nice thing about the el-cheapo bulk ammo is when you get groups like that you have something to brag about, when you don't you can always say "well, I was shooting cheap bulk ammo." That's my excuse.

PS. I wandered through Wally World yesterday. The Federal bulk was up to $19/box. Tain't so cheap any more.
That's not cheap ammo any mre, last I bought was $15.47 plus tx=$16.35, now $19.00 plus tax=$20.54. I bought Blazer from my local shop to $20.00 out the doot yesterday.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Well KAZ, I bought a heavier grade of paper and decided That maybe if I put it out on the 50 yard line it would hold up better. Shot a few of Blazer and the FED, and no great results but not bad for my first try at 50 yards, did not make any sight changes from the other ammo. Friend gave me 10 rounds of Wolf MT to try, so I shot this target. Well the center of the paper seems to be better but a ragged hole appeared just about an inch below center, guess you just can not rely in the paper any more.Image

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 pm

50 yards!!!! Those that have forgotten more about this game than I tell me that the wind effect at 50 yds is four (4) times what is is at 25 yds. That is an excellent group, I can see the smile on your face from here 8) That Wolf MT is the same stuff as SK Standard Plus which I buy by the case. It is great ammo as you can see. All of my rifles like it. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm

KAZ wrote:50 yards!!!! Those that have forgotten more about this game than I tell me that the wind effect at 50 yds is four (4) times what is is at 25 yds. That is an excellent group, I can see the smile on your face from here 8) That Wolf MT is the same stuff as SK Standard Plus which I buy by the case. It is great ammo as you can see. All of my rifles like it. Regards
When the second round went almost perfectly through the hole the first one made, I was like those guys guys in the Staples commercial , "WOW THAT WAS A GREAT SHOT". I can see why you like that stuff now, I may have shot some about 3 or so years ago when I first got Mr "T", but then the gun was totally stickle except for the trigger. My local smith bedded the action and the first 2 inched of the barrel but it shoots better with my crude setup.Been shooting with a young fellow about my oldest sons age and he uses Wolf MT and he gave me a box, can't wait to try it in Sport, my DSP, that guns shoots great also. Did shoot another group after that one but the wind came up a bit and it was good vertically but strung out a little horizontally From a brisk R to L wind.